+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy but no RAMQ Health Card

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
Hi,

My situation is that me and my wife have received the COPR under express entry and had planned to be in Canada in April 2020 but due to this COVID-19 situation our flights got cancelled and currently there are no international flights operating from our country. I have got a job in Montreal and I am planning to settle there. But the situation is that I have recently found that my wife is 7 Weeks Pregnant. In order to get the Health Card for Qubec there will be a waiting period of 3 months! But the RAMQ website states that services related to pregnancy, child birth or termination of pregnancy might be available free of charge. Does this mean my wife can avail these services free of charge and are there any special conditions?

As there would be some pre-natal tests and consultations. I am not sure if the RAMQ will cover those costs or not. Can you please suggest me some options may be any insurance that might cover the costs or is there a possibility to reduce the waiting period of 3 months ?

Thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You won’t find insurance that will cover the preexisitimg condition. I’d suggest calling RAMQ directly and explain the situation. See what they say. Keep notes and names of who you spoke to and a confirmation via e mail if they will do it.

Reactions: mr1989

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no wait time for pregnancy care as long as you remain in Quebec and meet the residency requirements to receive RAMQ. If you don't meet the RAMQ residency requirements you can be asked to pay back any services you use. Your wife may have difficulty working enough hours to receive maternity payments. Would add that it may not be possible for family to come for the birth.

Did you apply for Quebec immigration? If not, you must land in another province.

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
Thanks for the replies, I had applied for Express Entry without PNP so I am planning to land in Toronto and then travel to Montreal as I have got a job there. Also considering the current situation I am assuming I would be asked to quarantine for 14 days in Toronto. I don't think there is possibility to apply for RAMQ while I am in quarantine in Toronto ?

Will I require any signed rental agreement for the RAMQ registration as I will be in AirBnB for some time before getting an apartment ? (can't find that on the RAMQ website)

As you said RAMQ will cover pregnancy care - does that include all the doctor visits and scans and tests etc. recommended by the doctor during the pregnancy and delivery ?

Yes I think my wife will not be able to work enough hours to receive maternity payments. Are there any other benefits that me or my wife can look upon which we might get ?

Thanks

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the replies, I had applied for Express Entry without PNP so I am planning to land in Toronto and then travel to Montreal as I have got a job there. Also considering the current situation I am assuming I would be asked to quarantine for 14 days in Toronto. I don't think there is possibility to apply for RAMQ while I am in quarantine in Toronto ?

Will I require any signed rental agreement for the RAMQ registration as I will be in AirBnB for some time before getting an apartment ? (can't find that on the RAMQ website)

As you said RAMQ will cover pregnancy care - does that include all the doctor visits and scans and tests etc. recommended by the doctor during the pregnancy and delivery ?

Yes I think my wife will not be able to work enough hours to receive maternity payments. Are there any other benefits that me or my wife can look upon which we might get ?

Thanks

Unsure whether you will be required to quarantine in Toronto but I would assume there is a high probability because you would be in contact with too many people if you had to pick up a rental car and drive straight to Montreal. Technically if you were able to pick up a car and drive straight to your Montreal Airbnb it may be possible but you would likely have to keep the car for 2 weeks and you wouldn't be able to stop for any bathroom breaks for at least 5 hours. No you can't apply for RAMQ until you enter Quebec. Most things will be covered under RAMQ. Healthcare in Canada doesn't cover everything. You will have to research what RAMQ covers. Your job offer may have included an extended benefit plan that often covers or partially covers healthcare services or items not covered by the provincial healthcare system. Because of covid there have been some major changes like not being able to bring a partner to appointments or having appointments over the internet. Your child will qualify for CCB. Raising a child is expensive in Canada so CCB helps cover some of the costs but how much you will receive varies based on how much a family earns. CCB is mainly to help child poverty in Canada.