+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and healthcare/OHIP

Ashcopr

Jan 5, 2018
hi
We recently got pr cards and planning to move to Canada (currently outside Canada) and plan to start a family.

From what I have read online it takes about 3 months to get health card . If I get pregnant after getting health card , will the health card cover whole pregnancy or partially or none
What part of pregnancy is covered after getting health card
Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi
We recently got pr cards and planning to move to Canada (currently outside Canada) and plan to start a family.

From what I have read online it takes about 3 months to get health card . If I get pregnant after getting health card , will the health card cover whole pregnancy or partially or none
Thank you
Coverage will be from when you become eligible. If you get pregnant after getting the coverage, all of the pregnancy period would be covered.

Ashcopr

Jan 5, 2018
Coverage will be from when you become eligible. If you get pregnant after getting the coverage, all of the pregnancy period would be covered.
Thank you for the quick reply
The delivery be it natural or c section , it will be free ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's not free because you pay taxes that go to pay for the healthcare you receive but everything should be covered except any prescription medication while you are not in the hospital. You or your husband may have extended health benefits through work that usually cover all or a significant percentage of prescription costs. Expect around a 24-48 hour stay in hospital for vaginal delivery. A bit longer for c-section. I would recommend you wait until you have coverage before getting pregnant. If you plan on working you must work a certain amount of hours before qualifying to receive maternity benefits.

Reactions: Buletruck

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
hi

Thank you
Coverage beings after 90 days.
If you get pregnant after 90 days period then everything is covered.
If you get pregnant between landing and 90 days period then remaining part of the pregnancy after 90 days is covered.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It's not free because you pay taxes that go to pay for the healthcare you receive but everything should be covered except any prescription medication while you are not in the hospital. You or your husband may have extended health benefits through work that usually cover all or a significant percentage of prescription costs. Expect around a 24-48 hour stay in hospital for vaginal delivery. A bit longer for c-section. I would recommend you wait until you have coverage before getting pregnant. If you plan on working you must work a certain amount of hours before qualifying to receive maternity benefits.
What is not free in your post? The delivery of the baby, natural or c-section would be free if she is eligible.
Housewives that do not work, hence, do not pay income tax, still get coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is not free in your post? The delivery of the baby, natural or c-section would be free if she is eligible.
Housewives that do not work, hence, do not pay income tax, still get coverage.
Everyone pays taxes. If the housewife is married their family income is being taxed. I suspect this person is coming from a country where you have to purchase private health insurance. Coming from that system not paying directly for healthcare seems crazy. You just pay through taxes. There is a big difference between being free and being covered.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Not everyone pays taxes, very low income and people on welfare or social assistance do not pay income taxes. If they become pregnant, if they are eligible they will be covered.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If you land in Alberta, you dont have to wait 3 months to be covered, you landed as PR you are covered right away even if you don’t work and pay income tax.

Reactions: amug

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They submit taxes, pay sales tax, etc. If you read my original post I never said that she wouls have to pay for pregnancy and delivery. I only said she would pay for Rx drugs outside of hospital. There is a difference being covered services by provincial healthcare and free. There are lots of healthcare items that are not covered or free like a medical brace.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If you read my post I said delivery of the baby is free if eligible that was her question anyway and filing of income taxes is still separate even if you are married-individual income not family income.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Heath care is not free. It a tax payer funded system....someone is paying. You are confusing free with no cost to the user.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........