+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and health card coverage

Jobelle21

May 8, 2020
I’m planning to go to prince george this September for my studies. Recently I found out that I’m 8weeks pregnant. Can I still continue my studies and gave birth to Canada? Do you guys know the coverage of their health card whether it’s private insurance or government?

vikenfirakezi

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
I’m planning to go to prince george this September for my studies. Recently I found out that I’m 8weeks pregnant. Can I still continue my studies and gave birth to Canada? Do you guys know the coverage of their health card whether it’s private insurance or government?
As far as i know, college health coverage wont cover the labor since you are pregnant before the insurance will start (usually from Sep).

Jobelle21

May 8, 2020
As far as i know, college health coverage wont cover the labor since you are pregnant before the insurance will start (usually from Sep).
Thank you for your response, my due date is on December 15. Others said MSP will release after 3months. I have no idea if it will cover my labor. Do you guys know some private insurance that will cover my labor? Thank you for your help. I just really need it so bad.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
agree with the above. pregnancy BEFORE coverage starts will not be insured. if you plan to pursue your studies in September and give birth here, you will need to ensure you have at least $10,000 for a normal and no complication delivery. The amount can go way up if any complications occur.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add here but how will you manage having a baby and attend classes full time ? Assume you have that taken into account and have even sounded out the college for some sort of maternity break.

Jobelle21

May 8, 2020
Just to add here but how will you manage having a baby and attend classes full time ? Assume you have that taken into account and have even sounded out the college for some sort of maternity break.
I have a common law partner that will join me and when the baby comes my mother will apply for grandparent visa or visit visa to help us.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your response, my due date is on December 15. Others said MSP will release after 3months. I have no idea if it will cover my labor. Do you guys know some private insurance that will cover my labor? Thank you for your help. I just really need it so bad.
If you have MSP at the time of the birth, it will be covered. However, if you go into labour early before coverage, you are out of luck. The child will also NOT be covered and if born early, will likely require a stay in the NICU. Expect a massive bill in the tens of thousands for even a short NICU stay. If longer, the bill could be a million dollars or more. If you can't afford that, don't give birth here.

I have a common law partner that will join me and when the baby comes my mother will apply for grandparent visa or visit visa to help us.
There is no such thing as a "grandparent visa" and caring for a child while on a TRV is considered illegal work, so don't expect that your mother will be approved.

You may want to seriously consider deferring your studies and having the child in your country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hopefully your partner is visa exempt or already has an OWP because partners joining international student is also not guaranteed. If he/she is visa exempt he has a better chance of entering but is not guaranteed.

Jobelle21

May 8, 2020
If you have MSP at the time of the birth, it will be covered. However, if you go into labour early before coverage, you are out of luck. The child will also NOT be covered and if born early, will likely require a stay in the NICU. Expect a massive bill in the tens of thousands for even a short NICU stay. If longer, the bill could be a million dollars or more. If you can't afford that, don't give birth here.

There is no such thing as a "grandparent visa" and caring for a child while on a TRV is considered illegal work, so don't expect that your mother will be approved.

You may want to seriously consider deferring your studies and having the child in your country.

Parent and grandparent super visa
Information for parents and grandparents, including applications for super visas, processing times, what to expect when you arrive in Canada and how to extend your stay. It is based on their site. Go check on it. Thank you

Jobelle21

May 8, 2020
Hopefully your partner is visa exempt or already has an OWP because partners joining international student is also not guaranteed. If he/she is visa exempt he has a better chance of entering but is not guaranteed.
Yes my partner already have OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Parent and grandparent super visa
Information for parents and grandparents, including applications for super visas, processing times, what to expect when you arrive in Canada and how to extend your stay. It is based on their site. Go check on it. Thank you
Supervisas are for parents/grandparents of Canadian citizens/PRs that meet income requirements. Go check on it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Eligibility

To be eligible for a super visa, you must:

• be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canadathat includes:
    • a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
    • the list and number of people in the household of this person
    • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Of course private insurance isn’t going to cover it . It would be like applying for car insurance, and telling the broker , “Yes I’m planning on getting into a car accident in 6 months and you’ll have to pay out”
Insurance doesn’t quite work that way
Same premise

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As you have already been told supervisas are only of PRs and citizens. You will need to make plans counting on your parents not being able to visit especially due to covid. If she comes from a visa exempt country or have her own funds, strong ties to their home country and an extensive travel history she may get a TRV but entry is not guaranteed because of covid. Would add that it is the same for your partner with the OWP if he doesn’t have employment arranged and isn’t already in Canada. Canada doesn’t want more people entering who will be unemployed. It is very fluid situation but you will have to plan for a delivery.