+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre-arrival housing services

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks very much. My work permits limits me to GTA. However, I can go as far as Brantford, Hamilton, Orangeville. and even Barrie. Basically, 1 hour from Toronto is what I am looking for and also am planning to for a town house instead of apartments and would like to avoid downtowns and crowded areas. Any suggestions are most welcome and is much appreciated.
A large percentage if rentals are not listed with real estate agents.

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Lets look at it from two perspectives, one is showing of your rental properties and the second is how a landlord views a potential tenant. From my recent experience with showings and new comer profiles below are few things you could do:

1. Get hold of a Real Estate Agent, there are plenty in the GTA. Ask him/her to do a virtual tour of all the rental properties. This is the norm for the past few months, even for sale of properties. Shortlist for potential units to visit post your quarantine, now every showing is based on appointments only, so your Real Estate Agent will take care of these appointments, don't worry. Besides, most showings are free, you just have to be present at the unit at the scheduled time. That's the process for you to find a desired long term rental post quarantine period.

2. Now coming to how the landlords look at your credit history, employment, deposits etc. -
> Some landlords will consider your US credit history, show them your latest report from Equifax or whichever report you get. Some of my clients who came from US, their credit reports were accepted by the landlords
> Now, suppose, you didn't end up in a job immediately, you could substantiate your proof of funds by providing a deposit for more than 2 months. The landlord cannot ask for more than one term (month/week) of deposit as per REBBA, so you will have to voluntarily provide through your Real Estate Salesperson. This will give some confidence to the landlord, you could also give post dated cheques (but I generally don't recommend, and this is not required if you have an employment letter), again the landlord is not allowed to ask for these cheques, it is your way to give him that confidence.

Most condo owners are desperate for tenants during the pandemic time now, from my experience (Units I rented earlier have come down by $300-$400), you should have limited resistance from them. So, just start your hunt with a Real Estate Agent. Don't worry too much about the landlord.

If you would like to go ahead with rentals in the GTA (Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, Oakville etc.) let me know.
Hi, I am looking for temp accomodation in a condo for 2 months initially, not shared in GTA / DT TO. Preferably a studio. Can you help with that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am looking for temp accomodation in a condo for 2 months initially, not shared in GTA / DT TO. Preferably a studio. Can you help with that.
Did you not read the message you just quoted? Get hold of any realtor. There are plenty in GTA.

ivand

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016
hi,
as VFS India offices have started opening up, my family is planning to come to Canada in Q1-2021. we are thinking of either putting up at an Airbnb or renting out a place before arriving in Canada. we are not very keen on Airbnb option because it is just an additional movement once we decide on a place to stay after 14 days to a month. Does anyone know of an agent/ service provider based in India who can help me find properties in and around Toronto and also help me close the deal? any leads will be very helpful.

thanks.
Never rent a place without looking at it first, otherwise you will regret it 99%.
I wouldn't trust an agent in Canada, even less in India to choose an apartment for me.
You will be locked for a year and be really frustrated.
Go with AirBnB and see everything with your own eyes.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Never rent a place without looking at it first, otherwise you will regret it 99%.
I wouldn't trust an agent in Canada, even less in India to choose an apartment for me.
You will be locked for a year and be really frustrated.
Go with AirBnB and see everything with your own eyes.
Being locked for a year sometimes is not necessary. There are always room for negotiation with a landlord.