+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pre-arrival housing services

sam19822020

Nov 30, 2020
hi,
as VFS India offices have started opening up, my family is planning to come to Canada in Q1-2021. we are thinking of either putting up at an Airbnb or renting out a place before arriving in Canada. we are not very keen on Airbnb option because it is just an additional movement once we decide on a place to stay after 14 days to a month. Does anyone know of an agent/ service provider based in India who can help me find properties in and around Toronto and also help me close the deal? any leads will be very helpful.

thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi,
as VFS India offices have started opening up, my family is planning to come to Canada in Q1-2021. we are thinking of either putting up at an Airbnb or renting out a place before arriving in Canada. we are not very keen on Airbnb option because it is just an additional movement once we decide on a place to stay after 14 days to a month. Does anyone know of an agent/ service provider based in India who can help me find properties in and around Toronto and also help me close the deal? any leads will be very helpful.

thanks.
See response here:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pre-arrival-housing-services-toronto.712178/

Best option is to go with Airbnb first and to use an agent in Toronto. Do not use an India-based agency.

Reactions: Chichu456

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether it is airbnb or a lease, the same additonal movement goes once you decide on a place to stay after 14 days to a month. Lease are quite easy to break during this pandemic. Also, if you are interest in the airbnb you stayed, can't you negotiate with the host to convert it to a long term lease?

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
hi,

thanks.
I am not sure how well informed a service/agent in India would be about the ground reality here. Depending on the situations in Q1, you may have to still quarantine, incase there is a third wave.

Besides, there are some nuances you may have to consider (proximity of schools, initial transport options, proximity to essential stores, office locations), unless you have already been here before. So I feel, Airbnb would be a good option for at least a week. Based on my experience (in Toronto/GTA), I would suggest:

1. Take up an Airbnb for a week or two, start your rental property search (shouldn't take time to close, there are a lot of rentals available due to COVID, especially the condo market would be dear to you). Later move to a different permanent rental. - We did this when we came and it was a smooth process.
2. Get hold of a real estate agent, who is located here in Canada before you come. He/She can give you a video tour of the place and finalize the rental property before you come. You could quarantine there and also continue your stay.

PM me if you need any specific details of how we chose the rentals, it is an easy process.

VKR123

Jan 2, 2021
I am not sure how well informed a service/agent in India would be about the ground reality here. Depending on the situations in Q1, you may have to still quarantine, incase there is a third wave.

Besides, there are some nuances you may have to consider (proximity of schools, initial transport options, proximity to essential stores, office locations), unless you have already been here before. So I feel, Airbnb would be a good option for at least a week. Based on my experience (in Toronto/GTA), I would suggest:

1. Take up an Airbnb for a week or two, start your rental property search (shouldn't take time to close, there are a lot of rentals available due to COVID, especially the condo market would be dear to you). Later move to a different permanent rental. - We did this when we came and it was a smooth process.
2. Get hold of a real estate agent, who is located here in Canada before you come. He/She can give you a video tour of the place and finalize the rental property before you come. You could quarantine there and also continue your stay.

PM me if you need any specific details of how we chose the rentals, it is an easy process.
Thanks , we just moved to GTA from USA and we are in quarantine (Airbnb). Could you please share how did you go about rental, credit checks etc. (as we are new here and don't have any credit history here - lived in US almost 8 years before this move)

Reactions: viberuz

viberuz

Jul 6, 2020
Thanks , we just moved to GTA from USA and we are in quarantine (Airbnb). Could you please share how did you go about rental, credit checks etc. (as we are new here and don't have any credit history here - lived in US almost 8 years before this move)
i am going to tail you VKR123 as will have similar situation soon! looking forward to more sharing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Whether it is airbnb or a lease, the same additonal movement goes once you decide on a place to stay after 14 days to a month. Lease are quite easy to break during this pandemic. Also, if you are interest in the airbnb you stayed, can't you negotiate with the host to convert it to a long term lease?
Leases aren't easy to break in general unless it is in the best interest of the owner. Would never count on being able to break a lease.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would not suggest committing to a lease unless you have already secured a job. If you haven't secured a job you should remain flexible so that you can relocate to another city if that's where you find a job and in the GTA renting in one area will limit where you can be employed or else you could spend many hours commuting each way. Depending on what type of rental you are looking at there may be more flexibility. When it comes to things like condos in more central locations there is a lot of availability so the requirements may be more flexible. I know I've seen tenants offer to pay multiple months upfront or provide banking information showing they will be able to pay the rent even if tenants can't secure jobs. Proof of employment and salary will be very helpful given the economy. When it comes to finding a rental it also depends on the type and the budget. Would try kijiji, viewit.ca, realtor.ca. Beware of scams.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Lets look at it from two perspectives, one is showing of your rental properties and the second is how a landlord views a potential tenant. From my recent experience with showings and new comer profiles below are few things you could do:

1. Get hold of a Real Estate Agent, there are plenty in the GTA. Ask him/her to do a virtual tour of all the rental properties. This is the norm for the past few months, even for sale of properties. Shortlist for potential units to visit post your quarantine, now every showing is based on appointments only, so your Real Estate Agent will take care of these appointments, don't worry. Besides, most showings are free, you just have to be present at the unit at the scheduled time. That's the process for you to find a desired long term rental post quarantine period.

2. Now coming to how the landlords look at your credit history, employment, deposits etc. -
> Some landlords will consider your US credit history, show them your latest report from Equifax or whichever report you get. Some of my clients who came from US, their credit reports were accepted by the landlords
> Now, suppose, you didn't end up in a job immediately, you could substantiate your proof of funds by providing a deposit for more than 2 months. The landlord cannot ask for more than one term (month/week) of deposit as per REBBA, so you will have to voluntarily provide through your Real Estate Salesperson. This will give some confidence to the landlord, you could also give post dated cheques (but I generally don't recommend, and this is not required if you have an employment letter), again the landlord is not allowed to ask for these cheques, it is your way to give him that confidence.

Most condo owners are desperate for tenants during the pandemic time now, from my experience (Units I rented earlier have come down by $300-$400), you should have limited resistance from them. So, just start your hunt with a Real Estate Agent. Don't worry too much about the landlord.

If you would like to go ahead with rentals in the GTA (Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, Oakville etc.) let me know.

VKR123

Jan 2, 2021
Lets look at it from two perspectives, one is showing of your rental properties and the second is how a landlord views a potential tenant. From my recent experience with showings and new comer profiles below are few things you could do:

1. Get hold of a Real Estate Agent, there are plenty in the GTA. Ask him/her to do a virtual tour of all the rental properties. This is the norm for the past few months, even for sale of properties. Shortlist for potential units to visit post your quarantine, now every showing is based on appointments only, so your Real Estate Agent will take care of these appointments, don't worry. Besides, most showings are free, you just have to be present at the unit at the scheduled time. That's the process for you to find a desired long term rental post quarantine period.

2. Now coming to how the landlords look at your credit history, employment, deposits etc. -
> Some landlords will consider your US credit history, show them your latest report from Equifax or whichever report you get. Some of my clients who came from US, their credit reports were accepted by the landlords
> Now, suppose, you didn't end up in a job immediately, you could substantiate your proof of funds by providing a deposit for more than 2 months. The landlord cannot ask for more than one term (month/week) of deposit as per REBBA, so you will have to voluntarily provide through your Real Estate Salesperson. This will give some confidence to the landlord, you could also give post dated cheques (but I generally don't recommend, and this is not required if you have an employment letter), again the landlord is not allowed to ask for these cheques, it is your way to give him that confidence.

Most condo owners are desperate for tenants during the pandemic time now, from my experience (Units I rented earlier have come down by $300-$400), you should have limited resistance from them. So, just start your hunt with a Real Estate Agent. Don't worry too much about the landlord.

If you would like to go ahead with rentals in the GTA (Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham, Scarborough, Oakville etc.) let me know.
Thanks, appreciate your detailed reply.

VKR123

Jan 2, 2021
Would not suggest committing to a lease unless you have already secured a job. If you haven't secured a job you should remain flexible so that you can relocate to another city if that's where you find a job and in the GTA renting in one area will limit where you can be employed or else you could spend many hours commuting each way. Depending on what type of rental you are looking at there may be more flexibility. When it comes to things like condos in more central locations there is a lot of availability so the requirements may be more flexible. I know I've seen tenants offer to pay multiple months upfront or provide banking information showing they will be able to pay the rent even if tenants can't secure jobs. Proof of employment and salary will be very helpful given the economy. When it comes to finding a rental it also depends on the type and the budget. Would try kijiji, viewit.ca, realtor.ca. Beware of scams.
Thanks very much. My work permits limits me to GTA. However, I can go as far as Brantford, Hamilton, Orangeville. and even Barrie. Basically, 1 hour from Toronto is what I am looking for and also am planning to for a town house instead of apartments and would like to avoid downtowns and crowded areas. Any suggestions are most welcome and is much appreciated.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks very much. My work permits limits me to GTA. However, I can go as far as Brantford, Hamilton, Orangeville. and even Barrie. Basically, 1 hour from Toronto is what I am looking for and also am planning to for a town house instead of apartments and would like to avoid downtowns and crowded areas. Any suggestions are most welcome and is much appreciated.
All the locations you have listed are pretty good. Just pick one start exploring the listings.. It won't be any issue if you don't have credit history in Canada, you can show your US history. I used my US credit history when I rented in 2019 and landlords were okay with that. It was the time when finding rentals was very difficult in GTA. These days many folks have found same listings at good discounts.

VKR123

Jan 2, 2021
All the locations you have listed are pretty good. Just pick one start exploring the listings.. It won't be any issue if you don't have credit history in Canada, you can show your US history. I used my US credit history when I rented in 2019 and landlords were okay with that. It was the time when finding rentals was very difficult in GTA. These days many folks have found same listings at good discounts.
Glad to know, thanks