+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRC status & 2nd entery in different City

humsafaar

Oct 26, 2007
Hi,

I landed in Toronto in July 2005 but get PR card in Jan 2006. In those 5 months worked on SIN card in a company. In those duration also got medical card as well as driving card.
But in back home my mother got serious ill and she was also missing me too much due to attachment.So I come back for her. I am out of Canada since Jan 2006. Expiry date on my card is Dec 2010. Here in my home country I made new passport. (my immigration Visa on Old passport).

Can I enter in Canada?

What type of cross questions can I face at the time entry ?

Now can I enter in Calgary instead of Toronto? Can they ask why coming here? (on landing paper and all other cards has my old Toronto address)

What documents I have to show to officer? (Can they ask for my mother medical paper for reason of long absence?)

If I entered in Canada at the end of Oct 2008 then Can I leave Canada again or I have to live 2 years to meet my PR.

Will they count my earlier 4 months?

Sorry for too many questions. Infact I am worried about my case.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are ok to be outside Canada for up to 1095 days (3 years) total in any 5 year period so if you left in dec 2005, you should be ok to come back in dec 2008 if you stay in Canada for the next 2 years without leaving at all. If you come back in oct 2008, you will have an extra 2 months that in the next 2 years you can go visit your mother. Just make sure that at no time does the total days outside of Canada go above 1095 in the 5 years previous.

The customs can ask you and you will tell them that your mother was ill and you went to support her and now she is better. You are fine to go to Calgary. As a PR you can live anywhere in Canada.

humsafaar

Oct 26, 2007
Leon thanks for reply.

As you say if I go Canada in Oct 2008 then I just has 2 months to visit my mother in next 2 years. So I assume that they will not count my living in Canada i.e., 5 months (from July 05 to Jan 06).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will count it but it depends on when in January you left and when in October you are coming back. If you had left in the beginning of January 06 and come back at the end of October 08, you will have been gone from Canada for 2 years and 10 months, leaving you in the next 2 years only allowance of 2 more months that you can be outside Canada without losing your PR since the maximum is 3 years. If you had left in the middle of January 06 and are coming back in the middle of October, it will be 2 years and 9 months that you were gone, leaving you with 3 months to visit your mother. You know when you left and when you are coming back so you can calculate this better than I can but you can only be outside Canada for maximum 1095 days in any 5 year period if you want to keep your PR. If your mother still needs you, you may have to choose between your mother and keeping your PR.

humsafaar

Oct 26, 2007
Leon thanks once again.

However, as I have already completed 120 days in past days. Therefore, now I have to live more 600 days to maintain my PR card. If I re-enter in Canada in Oct 2008 then I can live outside Canada 6 month in future.
Secondly, I am thinking to apply for mother to live with me in future.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It depends on how you calculate it. It's always a rolling 5 year period but you landed as PR in July 2005, right? So you need to have 730 days from July 2005 to July 2010. If you stayed from July until January, you should have more than 120 days. You should have 6 months, 180 days?

To complete 730 days before July 2010, if you already have 180, you need 550 days more, so that is almost exactly 1.5 years or 18 months. So between October 2008 and July 2010 which is about 21 months, you can take 3 months off. After that, if you have used up your extra 3 months, time starts to eat away at your initial stay in Canada so in August 2010, you don't get credit for August 2005 anymore etc. so you need to stay during this time. You always have to make sure that you have 730 days in Canada in the previous 5 years.

C

cchabert

Leon this is for PR but how about citizenship? I know after 3 years you can ask for it, that means 3 years with out going out the country? if you go out 1 month means you can apply to citizenship after 3 years 1 month? is this how it works?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cchabert said:
Leon this is for PR but how about citizenship? I know after 3 years you can ask for it, that means 3 years with out going out the country? if you go out 1 month means you can apply to citizenship after 3 years 1 month? is this how it works?
Yes, that is exactly how it works. You need 1095 days (3 years) in Canada in the previous 4 years before you apply. If you stay in Canada for 3 years, you can apply after 3 years. If you leave for vacations, you have to add time to make up for your vacations until you have 1095 days.

C

cchabert

Thank you, that was easy in compare if you have luck here of 10 years after you got your green card.

Petrus

Oct 16, 2008
humsafaar said:
Hi,

I landed in Toronto in July 2005 but get PR card in Jan 2006. In those 5 months worked on SIN card in a company. In those duration also got medical card as well as driving card.
But in back home my mother got serious ill and she was also missing me too much due to attachment.So I come back for her. I am out of Canada since Jan 2006. Expiry date on my card is Dec 2010. Here in my home country I made new passport. (my immigration Visa on Old passport).

Can I enter in Canada?

What type of cross questions can I face at the time entry ?

Now can I enter in Calgary instead of Toronto? Can they ask why coming here? (on landing paper and all other cards has my old Toronto address)

What documents I have to show to officer? (Can they ask for my mother medical paper for reason of long absence?)

If I entered in Canada at the end of Oct 2008 then Can I leave Canada again or I have to live 2 years to meet my PR.

Will they count my earlier 4 months?

Sorry for too many questions. Infact I am worried about my case.
Same thing happened to me years ago, so I sympathise with your situation. In my case, I had to reapply all over again and wait years to get the same visa. I wish you good luck mate, whatever your decision.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Petrus said:
Same thing happened to me years ago, so I sympathise with your situation. In my case, I had to reapply all over again and wait years to get the same visa. I wish you good luck mate, whatever your decision.
It used to be that you had to live in Canada for 6 months out of every 12 but now it's only 2 out of every 5 years so gives you a lot more flexibility. At least he didn't lose his PR yet and he can still keep it if he goes back now.

Petrus

Oct 16, 2008
Leon said:
Petrus said:
It used to be that you had to live in Canada for 6 months out of every 12 but now it's only 2 out of every 5 years so gives you a lot more flexibility. At least he didn't lose his PR yet and he can still keep it if he goes back now.
Indeed :) Good to read something positive once in a while :)))