+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Practice with me to achieve 7 bands in Writing | 8 July 2017 Test

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013
Hi,

Let’s practice together to achieve 7 bands in IELTS writing. Every day I will post writing task 1 and 2 question and my answer to the questions.

Afterwards, everyone participating in this should give it a band score. Same thing will be done to other member answers. This will help us to understand about the quality of our writing and we can improve with the precious help of each other.

So, let us start.

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about the whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.

Write a letter to this friend. In your letter

· Say why he/she would not enjoy going to college

· Explain why getting a job is a good idea for him/her

· Suggest types of job that would be suitable for him/her

Write at least 150 words,

You do NOT need to write any addresses.

Begin your letter s follows:

Dear ……….,

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013

You recently received a letter from a friend asking for advice about the whether to go to college or to try to get a job. You think he/she should get a job.

Dear ……….,

Dear James,

Got your letter yesterday, I’m very happy to know that you have asked me to suggest you to either pursue further education or start a carrier. I must say, you have to start working now.

I am aware that how much you hate travelling, so this is certain you won’t enjoy commuting to college every day, which is located in next town about 40 KM away from your home. And recent injury to your mother’s knee is also a contributing factor you will not enjoy going to college that far. Therefore, I am suggesting you to start carrier.

With the extra money you will make for your family by doing job, will not only help your mother to undergo surgery later this year but also gives you a better livelihood. As I remember, you have taken hotel management and cooking classes in your course past year, why not try to find job in these fields, you will love it as you liked studying these subjects. I get to know that uncle Ban is looking for a hotel manager recently, why not talk to him.

Now it’s time for me to say goodbye, I wish you nothing but the best in your dream job hunt.

Best wishes,

XYZ

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Write about the following topic:

Employers sometimes ask people applying for jobs for personal information, such as their hobbies and interests, and whether they are married or single. Some people say that this information may be relevant and useful. Others disagree.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Write at least 250 words.

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Write about the following topic:

Employers sometimes ask people applying for jobs for personal information, such as their hobbies and interests, and whether they are married or single. Some people say that this information may be relevant and useful. Others disagree.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Write at least 250 words.
Companies often request job seekers to disclose their marital status and give details about likenesses and habits in job application, quite a few people argue that these details are highly necessary to help organization to select best employee according to their work environment and financial strength, other disagree and say it is inappropriate. In this essay I will discuss both sides and provide my thoughts on this highly important matter.

Firstly, asking candidate about their hobbies are often require to help organization to develop good working environment. If companies have knowledge about their future employee’s likeness, they can include those facilities in offices to help employees relax while working. Secondly, most employers provide financial benefits like marriage allowance, child education help and house rent for the married candidates, if company know at the time of job application about job seekers personal information they can offer good salary and benefits based on individual status.

On the other hand, this information sometimes is use to judge employee and his behavior by the employer. This practice is done to help already working employees to feel comfortable working with like-minded people, if all the employees in the company have likeness to cricket and only one individual do not have he will fell separated just because of this. But this is not great way of employee selection as most of the times candidate who deserve jobs did not get hired just because their preferences not matched with company’s requirement. Employers should always give all the candidates equal opportunity despite job seekers habits and marital status.

In my opinion, candidate selection procedure should only be based on pure merit and knowledge of the job applier in the field of work and should not base on the personal likeness and marital status at all. This will help companies to acquire best talent and will also help all candidates to pursue their hobbies.

M.Gouda

Star Member
Apr 26, 2017

Dear ……….,
I got that question in my ilets :/

Reactions: PCBDesigner

branda5

Apr 30, 2017
Companies often request job seekers to disclose their marital status and give details about likenesses and habits in job application, quite a few people argue that these details are highly necessary to help organization to select best employee according to their work environment and financial strength, other disagree and say it is inappropriate. In this essay I will discuss both sides and provide my thoughts on this highly important matter.

Firstly, asking candidate about their hobbies are often require to help organization to develop good working environment. If companies have knowledge about their future employee’s likeness, they can include those facilities in offices to help employees relax while working. Secondly, most employers provide financial benefits like marriage allowance, child education help and house rent for the married candidates, if company know at the time of job application about job seekers personal information they can offer good salary and benefits based on individual status.

On the other hand, this information sometimes is use to judge employee and his behavior by the employer. This practice is done to help already working employees to feel comfortable working with like-minded people, if all the employees in the company have likeness to cricket and only one individual do not have he will fell separated just because of this. But this is not great way of employee selection as most of the times candidate who deserve jobs did not get hired just because their preferences not matched with company’s requirement. Employers should always give all the candidates equal opportunity despite job seekers habits and marital status.

In my opinion, candidate selection procedure should only be based on pure merit and knowledge of the job applier in the field of work and should not base on the personal likeness and marital status at all. This will help companies to acquire best talent and will also help all candidates to pursue their hobbies.
you will lose mark from your 1st sentence definetely, its not complex sentence, its just word tram.
likeliness??? You invented new meaning.
I am not an expert, but I think my edition for pharagraph1 will be better. Too much info in the entry is not good.

Companies are often request job seekers to disclose their marital status and give some personal information in their job application, such as leisure time activities and habits. There are arguments on both sides, however, which we will discuss here.

Last edited:

PCBDesigner

Oct 31, 2013
you will lose mark from your 1st sentence definetely, its not complex sentence, its just word tram.
likeliness??? You invented new meaning.
I am not an expert, but I think my edition for pharagraph1 will be better. Too much info in the entry is not good.

Companies are often request job seekers to disclose their marital status and give some personal information in their job application, such as leisure time activities and habits. There are arguments on both sides, however, which we will discuss here.
Thanks for your valuable feedback. Could you please contribute more? We will all highly appreciate it.

rmnlk

Jan 10, 2017
AOR Received.
30-04-2017
Great idea!

I am not a native speaker, but I will try :) Please note that there may be more mistakes in your essay than I have found.

Maybe it would be better to say: "provide details" or "disclose details". You certainly need an article before "job application". The second part of the first sentence looks like it is not connected with the first one. Maybe it would be better to rephrase or separate it.

The phrase "quite a few" seems odd. You may want to use that phrase when you are surprised by the number. There are mistakes with articles: "organization", "best employee". The sentence looks odd. Maybe it would be better if you wrote it like this: "...these details are necessary for <something> in order to <do something>..."?

Or, this sentence is too long! :)))

"other disagree" -> "others disagree".

Why do you start the paragraph with "Firstly"? Looks inaproppriate. I realize now that you wrote arguments in favour of companies that ask for personal info, but it would be better if you indicated that you are going to review the first opinion.

"hobbies are" -> "hobbies is". The subject is "asking", it is singular.
"often required". Also, it would be better to write: "often required by ... ".
"employees'". This ' thingy can be confusing :(
"those facilities". Which ones?

"child education help"?
The whole sentence needs rephrasing, the part that starts with "if" looks odd.
"company know" -> "companies know".
"job application" needs an article.
"seekers" -> "seekers' "

"is use" -> "is used".
"employee": article.
The second sentence needs to be rephrased or separated into two smaller ones.
"But...": this is not a great way to start a sentence.
"great way": article.
"great way to ..."
There are many mistakes with articles here.
"preferences not matched" -> "preferences do not match". Which preferences? Hobbies and any other additional information are not preferences, those are details.

"opportunity" needs an article.
"seekers" -> "seekers' "

"applier"? Maybe "applicant"?
"should not base" -> "should not be based".
Multiple mistakes with articles.

"pursue hobbies"? Not sure what did you mean.

Your essay is not bad, but you need to work on your grammar if you want to achieve 7. Also, try to use more vocabulary words in your essays. Right now you have only 8 of them (likenesses, marital, disclose, status, despite, preferences, merit, application). Using topic-specific words could also help. Maybe instead of repeating "company" you may use "HR managers", for example. Just find a way to incorporate it naturally :)

My recommendations:
1. Use paperrater dot com (free&online) to grade your texts. This is really helpful.
2. The book "Grammar for IELTS" may help you to tackle your problems with articles, apostrophes and sentence structuring.

branda5

Apr 30, 2017
quite a few people argue about the necessecity of these details, in order to help organization
Thanks for your valuable feedback. Could you please contribute more? We will all highly appreciate it.
Paragraph 2
On the other hand, it might be said about necessity of these details in order to help companies to choose the most suitable candidate, leading to enhancement of employee’s productivity. For instance, ……... Added to this

Paragraph3
Conversely, ....... Give disagreement, cons. For example,............. Furthermore.....

Pragraph4
1 sentece tell importance of the both veiws(even cons has its pros, however pros outweigh), then Mention which group you support/ agree, Paragraph2(pros) or paragraph 3 (cons)

You need a lit bit study, because just writing more than enough words, won't give you score more than 6. More words than required means more mistakes, better have well structured 260words essay than 315 words

Last edited: