+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR withdrawal?

Orca

Jan 19, 2011
Hi everyone
I am new here, just discovered this really good forum
I am in BC for one year and 7 months, working for same employer. I got pnp and I am going to do medical next week. If everything goes fine I 'll get my PR when my two year contract will be expired or about to expire. They are pushing me to sign a new one.
My question is - When I get a PR, am I free to go and find another job? Is there any chance that PR could be Withdrew if I change a job? Could employer do something about PR withdrawal?

unique-mom

Feb 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
when you get your permanent residence status, you can work to any companies and you can also resign from your current employer.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Being sponsored by employer through a PNP, you must stay with the employer until you have landed as a PR. After that, you are free to go in regards to your PR.

In regards to you contract, it depends on what it says. One employer I worked for had a clause in their foreign worker contract stating that if the person changed employers, they would have to pay this employer back the cost of hiring them, work permit etc. Some people who quit early were sent a bill for $2000 with the employer stating that because he hired an employment agency to do the paperwork, that was his cost. The employees found out that it is against the law in AB to make a foreign worker pay for cost of employment agency so they refused to pay, the employer continued to try to scare them into paying but was not able to take any legal action.

Because of that, read your contract, see if it has a clause like that and if it does, phone the BC labour board to find out if it is legal. You should also give proper notice when you quit.