+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR visa vs. Student visa

Sadruddin

Jul 21, 2008
(1) Can I submit PR application today and while it is under process I can also apply for a student visa?

(2) If my spouse has just applied for PR and I am accompanying and the application is under process, Can I now apply for a student visa?

(3) Is it possible that my spouse applies for PR (and I am not an accompanying spouse) and later on I apply for a student visa?

JC

Star Member
Aug 25, 2005
The immigration process is complicated enough without you complicating matters further. If you want to study, go ahead and apply for a student visa. I would not tie my desire for further education to an immigration process that is long and uncertain. The challenge with applying simultaneously for a student as well as a PR visa is proving "dual intent". Student visas require that to demonstrate that you will leave after your studies --- while at the same time, a PR visa by definition demonstrates your intention to live in Canada permanently. The same holds true even if it’s your wife applying and you are not accompanying her. I’m no expert, but if I were the IO doing your assessment, my flags would be raised.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
Get the student visa. Come to Canada. If you have job experiences those fall into Canada's job category and you have 67 points apply for PR. If you do not have 67 points at the moment continue study as a student, gain some job experiences in Canada (through Teaching assistaingship/Research assistaingship) then apply for PR. Even than if you do not have 67 points, complete your degree in Canada then apply for post graduation work permit. This will allow you to stay approximate 3 years. By this time you will have 67 points I guess.

Just my thoughts above!

Thank you.

mhtjy

Apr 9, 2008
JC said:
The immigration process is complicated enough without you complicating matters further. If you want to study, go ahead and apply for a student visa. I would not tie my desire for further education to an immigration process that is long and uncertain. The challenge with applying simultaneously for a student as well as a PR visa is proving "dual intent". Student visas require that to demonstrate that you will leave after your studies --- while at the same time, a PR visa by definition demonstrates your intention to live in Canada permanently. The same holds true even if it's your wife applying and you are not accompanying her. I'm no expert, but if I were the IO doing your assessment, my flags would be raised.
Hello Sadrudin,

I have applied for PR in 2005 and then came to canada on Student visa ,now i have post gradution work permit.

I will suggest u that you apply for student visa first and then apply for PR from within Canada (provided you have 67 points), because processing at Buffelo is faster then most of the counteries..

as far are applying is concern you can apply for both simultaneously............

ocanada

Star Member
Apr 29, 2008
mhtyj attention

hi mhtjy, i also applied for pr this february 2008 and am planning to go for some studies while waiting for my pr and i got a college already in toronto.
i shall be living with my cousin and i already had a trv refused last december.
can u tell me what can be done so that i maximise my chances for the student visa as time is running ans i want to be there, atleast get some canadian education so that by the time i get my pr, i have completed a degree from canada and able to secure a job easily.
thanks mate.
god bless you :)
OCANADA :)

mhtjy

Apr 9, 2008
Ocanada..................

ocanada said:
hi mhtjy, i also applied for pr this february 2008 and am planning to go for some studies while waiting for my pr and i got a college already in toronto.
i shall be living with my cousin and i already had a trv refused last december.
can u tell me what can be done so that i maximise my chances for the student visa as time is running ans i want to be there, atleast get some canadian education so that by the time i get my pr, i have completed a degree from canada and able to secure a job easily.
thanks mate.
god bless you :)
OCANADA :)
Hello Ocanada................

1) Show maximum assets...................
2) Tell them the same thing that you want to have Canadian Skills (Education) before u get PR, this will help you..... write a nice letter about your future plans about your study and add that you will return if your PR is not processed during that time.........
3) Choose atleast 2 years course (so u will have 3 years work permit after that)
4)Show CHC that you have a stable job in your country.............

But my friend ...........it is a painful way of reaching Canada and very expensive...................

you will spend atleast $50000 in two years ................ and even then there is not guarantee of getting PR............

you have just applied in 2008,,,,,,,,, so evaluate your situation properly and take informed decision...................

good luck............

kbert

Star Member
Jul 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
SOON
Nomination.....
BY HIS GRACE
AOR Received.
BY HIS GRACE
File Transfer...
BY HIS GRACE
Med's Request
BY HIS GRACE
Med's Done....
BY HIS GRACE
Interview........
OVER COME
Passport Req..
VERY SOON
VISA ISSUED...
BY HIS GRACE
LANDED..........
BY HIS GRACE
Re: Ocanada..................

This is a good forum, have learnt a lot here. Can we pls continue this?

mhtjy said:
Hello Ocanada................

1) Show maximum assets...................
2) Tell them the same thing that you want to have Canadian Skills (Education) before u get PR, this will help you..... write a nice letter about your future plans about your study and add that you will return if your PR is not processed during that time.........
3) Choose atleast 2 years course (so u will have 3 years work permit after that)
4)Show CHC that you have a stable job in your country.............

But my friend ...........it is a painful way of reaching Canada and very expensive...................

you will spend atleast $50000 in two years ................ and even then there is not guarantee of getting PR............

you have just applied in 2008,,,,,,,,, so evaluate your situation properly and take informed decision...................

good luck............

Aanshika

Jun 14, 2020
What is best PR or student visa? If CRS doesn't match with current CRS..We are trying for clb 9 but no gain in 3 attempts.Is study visa better option..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What is best PR or student visa? If CRS doesn't match with current CRS..We are trying for clb 9 but no gain in 3 attempts.Is study visa better option..
Well first point might be why you have opened up a 7 year old thread.

Anyway a study permit will cost you up to 20k CDN plus 10k CDn per year and you need at least a 2 year course to get a 3 year PGWP. So plan on a 3 to 5 year plan to get any where near PR with work experience from the PGWP in a NOC 0,a or b job and even then no guarantee of PR

PR straight away at least would be a done deal and the 60000 plus you spent on study would help settlement as a new PR

Of course this all assumes you can qualify for a study permit in first place with a relevant course that can be shown to improve your prospects in your home country, not your prospects in Canada

thaovy99

Jun 26, 2019
Can I submit PR application and student visa simultaneously ?
Yes. But either you gonna get a PR status or a student visa is another problem. Visa officer dont reallly like "dual intention" and it's hard to convince VO about your real intention while applying for both.