+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR under Self-employed Category

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Hi All,

I am a full-time author and columnist living and writing in India. I have twelve books published with leading publishers such as HarperCollins, Penguin and Hachette, and have been invited to speak at several literary festivals - couple of them being outside India. Although my publishers are all internationally renowned publishing houses, I wouldn't quite consider myself a 'world-renowned' or 'internationally reputed' author. I have written over 200 articles on a number of subjects for a leading publication in India. Despite this, I am not sure if my contributions or columns may be called 'internationally reputed'.

I am considering applying for Canadian PR under the self-employed category. I qualify under most of the eligibility criteria, although I am not sure about a couple of them (I'm coming to those in a bit). There seems to be a points based system. I should be able to clear the points cut-off very comfortably. But I do have a few questions which I was hoping the good people in this forum would help me with -

1. Is it mandatory for applicants to be 'internationally renowned' to qualify in this category? I think it would be fair to say that although I am not world renowned, I do have a significant name, readership and following here in India. Would that be of some value to the program?

2. A bit of research tells me that the Immigration Officer needs to believe that I would make 'significant contribution' to Canada if I am granted PR, but it does not go on to explain what the quoted term means. Now, my plan is to keep on writing novels, stories and film scripts if I am granted PR, and to also contribute to various Canadian publications on a freelance basis. Would this be considered as 'significant contribution'?

Does anyone know of any applicant(s) who have successfully received PR under this category, and if so, what has their profile been like? (with respect to the 'internationally reputed' bit)

I would deeply appreciate your help and response in this regard. Many thanks to you.

Lchinjohn

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
I'm a music teacher, piano teacher to be specific, more then 20 years of experience, currently teaching at a Yamaha Music school on a commission basis, also conduct private lessons. I'm 48, and hold a Fellowship in Trinity College of Music London. Will I be eligible as self employed?