+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Travel Document Processing Time (Sydney)

Jan 1, 2018
My PR card is expiring Nov 5, 2018, and I will be studying in Australia during that time. I have exams until Nov 15th, and plan to fly back to Canada around Nov 20th. The issue is that I can't apply for a travel document until my PR card has expired, which would only give me 2 weeks for the TD to be processed and issued.

Does anyone know if the Sydney office would allow me to send in my TD application a couple weeks before my PR card actually expires, in order to ensure that I will have received my passport and TD in time for my intended date of travel?

P.S. Has anyone applied for the TD through the Sydney office? What is the average processing time?

Thanks in advance!

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
I would also love to hear from anyone with info about PRTD processing times in Sydney, Australia. I landed on 02-Dec-2017 but only got an email today saying my card application was submitted.. thats over 6 weeks after landing!!! I wanted to travel home in a few weeks time but the PR card obviously won't be ready. My issue is I'm only going home for 3 weeks and I don't know if the Sydney VAC will give me a PRTD in that timeframe. Anyone with experience please reply! Thank you. I have emailed them asking for a time to process..

cleighv

Feb 2, 2022
Do you have any advice on how long your PRTD took to be processed in the Sydney, Australia VAC office? I'll be travelling soon and can't find the answer anywhere... I'm only visiting for 3-4 weeks and have to return to Canada for work, so hopefully that's enough time!

I applied for my new PR card in Toronto about 5 months ago & it still hasn't arrived, at this stage I'm assuming it'll still be delayed by the time I depart for Aus in a few weeks. Anyone else with advice please let me know! Thank you

I would also love to hear from anyone with info about PRTD processing times in Sydney, Australia. I landed on 02-Dec-2017 but only got an email today saying my card application was submitted.. thats over 6 weeks after landing!!! I wanted to travel home in a few weeks time but the PR card obviously won't be ready. My issue is I'm only going home for 3 weeks and I don't know if the Sydney VAC will give me a PRTD in that timeframe. Anyone with experience please reply! Thank you. I have emailed them asking for a time to process..

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
Do you have any advice on how long your PRTD took to be processed in the Sydney, Australia VAC office? I'll be travelling soon and can't find the answer anywhere... I'm only visiting for 3-4 weeks and have to return to Canada for work, so hopefully that's enough time!

I applied for my new PR card in Toronto about 5 months ago & it still hasn't arrived, at this stage I'm assuming it'll still be delayed by the time I depart for Aus in a few weeks. Anyone else with advice please let me know! Thank you
Wow, this is a blast from the past. Sorry I can't help you, I ended up getting my PR Card in time for the trip and didn't need to get a PRTD. It just arrived without warning in the mail. They don't make it easy to track timeframes on getting the cards that's for sure. Best of luck with it.

aussie.deb

Apr 2, 2022

Hey cleighv, just discovered your post and wondering whether you were successful in receiving your PR card before your travels abroad this year? I am in a similar boat to you and am concerned my PR card will not arrive in time for my travels to visit ill family members. Not sure if you have travelled yet, but have you tried to apply for urgent processing for your PR card so that you dont need a PRTD?

If you are able to gleen light on how quick the turn around of PRTD is at the Sydney VAC id really appreciate it.

Regards.
D

cleighv

Feb 2, 2022
Hey aussie.deb,

I didn't get my PR card in time before leaving (turns out they didn't accept my photo, so I at least received correspondence before I left and knew that's what the hold up was)..
So I did end up having to apply for the PRTD when I was in Australia and it arrived in time before my return flight to Canada. It took exactly 19 days between when I sent it in and received everything back (approved). Back in Canada now and my new PR card had arrived in the post while I was away.

I didn't apply for urgent processing, but perhaps you have a special case for visiting ill family members.

My main notes of advice which I learnt along the way:
- send a print out of your flight itinerary in the application so they know when you need it back by
- submit to the Sydney VAC office even if you're in a different state to NSW, as they will just forward it along to this office for PRTD processing
- I used AusPost express to help expedite things
- there are some additional processing fees that need to be submitted to the VAC office, can't remember the exact amount but the online chat function of the Sydney VAC office was helpful & outlined it all for me: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/aus/en/can/contact-us - I just got a money order at the post office
- send photocopies of ALL pages with stamps or information in your passport, not just the photo pages

Hope this is helpful, I know it can be stressful!

aussie.deb

Apr 2, 2022
Hey aussie.deb,

I didn't get my PR card in time before leaving (turns out they didn't accept my photo, so I at least received correspondence before I left and knew that's what the hold up was)..
So I did end up having to apply for the PRTD when I was in Australia and it arrived in time before my return flight to Canada. It took exactly 19 days between when I sent it in and received everything back (approved). Back in Canada now and my new PR card had arrived in the post while I was away.

I didn't apply for urgent processing, but perhaps you have a special case for visiting ill family members.

My main notes of advice which I learnt along the way:
- send a print out of your flight itinerary in the application so they know when you need it back by
- submit to the Sydney VAC office even if you're in a different state to NSW, as they will just forward it along to this office for PRTD processing
- I used AusPost express to help expedite things
- there are some additional processing fees that need to be submitted to the VAC office, can't remember the exact amount but the online chat function of the Sydney VAC office was helpful & outlined it all for me: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/aus/en/can/contact-us - I just got a money order at the post office
- send photocopies of ALL pages with stamps or information in your passport, not just the photo pages

Hope this is helpful, I know it can be stressful!

Hi Cleighv!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I really appreciate it!! My visit will only be a short one ( 11 days ), but for you to get a 19 days turn around is pretty quick !! I will take into consideration your advice and get all my documents ready in case the PR card doesnt arrive in time.

I've sent in a message to the visa.vfs as you suggested! Many thanks once again.

Also, congratulation upon your new move to Canada ( and going through the whole process!) . Moving during the pandemic years has sure been a whirlwind.

All the best.
D

gally

Star Member
Mar 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
10-03-2011
AOR Received.
07-02-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
HI - Does anyone have any recent info about PRTD processing times in Sydney, Australia? Thanks