+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR transiting thru Heathrow, London- Transit visa, is it required or not?

Mayonnaise

Star Member
Apr 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a Canadian permanent resident and a citizen of the Philippines.

I need to board flight to Germany. However, i have a 1-2 hour stop over at London airport, Heathrow. I will not change airline carriers nor change airports... Do I still need to apply for a transit visa?

Has any permanent resident been in this same situation? Please advice.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are eligible to transit the UK under the Transit Without Visa Concession Scheme. Expect some scrutiny though at check in to ensure you have your German paperwork in order (Schengen Visa).

If they give you a hard time at check in ask to speak to an airline manager or the ALO (liason officer) they are clued up on this - your transit falls under para 47 of the Immigration Rules.

Mayonnaise

Star Member
Apr 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your speedy reply, Msafiri!

Is it better/safer to apply for a transit visa instead, to avoid issues/hassles with immigration officers?

Do they generally give non-visa holders a hard time is they're just transiting? This is my first time to travel to Europe so I'm trying to get an idea of how things work around there.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline check in agents are the people who often get confused as Philippine Nationals are not Visitor Visa exempt for the UK. The Immigration Officers at Heathrow know the deal..its a busy airport they are used to the transit without visa concession but they need to ensure you are allowed into Germany...you have you Schengen Visa right?

Don't apply for a regular visitor visa unless you intend to visit the UK in the near future. Reason is you need to get fingerprinted at UKBA (Border Agency) designated centres in Canada as part of your application...if you are not in a major urban area you could be travelling for hours to get to one. You then need to mail your application to the UK Embassy Visa section in the US where the UK Visa North America regional processing office is.

All this could take 6-8 weeks especially if they decide to interview you. If you get a refusal for whatever reason then you can kiss the transit without visa concession goodbye.