PR tied to passport???

vyper1

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
29/12/2018
Hello, I really need some info. My wife just missed her flight back to Canada as they are telling her that she can't check in because while her PR card is valid, it is tied to her old expired passport (she has a new one now).

Everywhere I look I see that there is no such thing but they are telling her that they have emailed Canada immigration and she should also try and contact the local Canadian embassy (which is closed for the weekend).

I feel like what they are saying makes no sense, but I don't know what to do as I'm all the way here in Canada at the moment. They refuse to even provide her with another possible return date. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

vyper1

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
29/12/2018
Who exactly is telling her this?
The agent for the airline. I called immigration Canada and they said that there is no such thing, but she was already denied entry to the flight.

Next available flight in their system is September 23rd which just cannot work. Anything before that is business class which they refuse to upgrade her to. I wish there was a way I could take legal action.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The agent for the airline. I called immigration Canada and they said that there is no such thing, but she was already denied entry to the flight.

Next available flight in their system is September 23rd which just cannot work. Anything before that is business class which they refuse to upgrade her to. I wish there was a way I could take legal action.
Unfortunately the airline misinterpreted the rules and incorrectly refused boarding to your wife.

I would continue to push for either the business class seat, or to put your wife on stand-by for an economy seat, or to find her a flight with a partner or other airline.

You can take legal action. However that's going to be long and expensive and won't solve the immediate problem. I would keep trying to escalate with the airline further and further.

Reactions: armoured and vyper1

vyper1

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
29/12/2018
I would continue to push for either the business class seat, or to put your wife on stand-by for an economy seat, or to find her a flight with a partner or other airline.

You can take legal action. However that's going to be long and expensive and won't solve the immediate problem. I would keep trying to escalate with the airline further and further.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep pushing as this is really their mess to clean up. I just hope it can get resolved sooner rather than later.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately the airline misinterpreted the rules and incorrectly refused boarding to your wife.
I don't have much to add - this is absolutely the airline's fault (which airline?), and your only recourse is likely to be through the airline (who could upgrade you or put you on standby for any flight after this). But how to do this is not so simple...

vyper1

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
29/12/2018
I don't have much to add - this is absolutely the airline's fault (which airline?), and your only recourse is likely to be through the airline (who could upgrade you or put you on standby for any flight after this). But how to do this is not so simple...
It's Ethiopian Airlines, they are in Tanzania. What makes it worse is that she's also traveling with my 18 month old. So all of this is just beyond inconvenient, on so many levels.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's Ethiopian Airlines, they are in Tanzania. What makes it worse is that she's also traveling with my 18 month old. So all of this is just beyond inconvenient, on so many levels.
So, I am guessing because this was a flight that connected through some other country, likely with a star alliance partner like Lufthansa or Air Canada?

Because what the airline should have done (I think) is check with that other airline, and I can guarantee that Air Canada would not have got this wrong, and 99% sure that Lufthansa wouldn't have either.

Don't know if that helps, mind. But you may have to escalate and AC/LH could confirm that this was indeed wrong.

Reactions: vyper1

vyper1

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
29/12/2018
So, I am guessing because this was a flight that connected through some other country, likely with a star alliance partner like Lufthansa or Air Canada?

Because what the airline should have done (I think) is check with that other airline, and I can guarantee that Air Canada would not have got this wrong, and 99% sure that Lufthansa wouldn't have either.

Don't know if that helps, mind. But you may have to escalate and AC/LH could confirm that this was indeed wrong.
So there was going to be a stop in Dublin, but unfortunately (fortunately when we were initially booking) there would be no change of the aircraft, just refueling I assume. So since no other airline would directly come into play, I'm stuck dealing with just them.

As I said though, I'm going to keep pushing. My wife will go to their local booking agent tomorrow and if there's no solution then I'll just be as big of a nuisance as possible. They need to fix this.

Thanks a lot for the correspondence and advice, helped me calm down a bit.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As I said though, I'm going to keep pushing. My wife will go to their local booking agent tomorrow and if there's no solution then I'll just be as big of a nuisance as possible. They need to fix this.
Take the strong position: this was a mistake of the check-in agent and the supervisor on duty, period. The airline is responsible, they should have the resources to check this.

And underline: there is NOTHING on the PR card that indicates the original passport number, only a line that says nationality. So the idea that it is linked to a passport is absurd on its face, how would this be checked?

Reactions: vyper1

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
So there was going to be a stop in Dublin, but unfortunately (fortunately when we were initially booking) there would be no change of the aircraft, just refueling I assume. So since no other airline would directly come into play, I'm stuck dealing with just them.

Thanks a lot for the correspondence and advice, helped me calm down a bit.
Did she have new old passport with her ? Show them old expired passport too .