+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR through sponsorship

rose9797

Jun 12, 2019
Hello everyone,

I just had some inquiries and I hope some one can answer them..

so, my boyfriend came to Canada when he was a kid with his family as a protected person 12 years ago and then my boyfriend's mother got married to a man who was also a protected person then he became my bf's step father.

Then, his step father, as a protected person applied for PR including PR for his wife( my bf's mom), my boyfriend and my bf's siblings. And they all got PR!

So, my boyfriend got his PR 2 years ago
**we got married few months ago!**

Now, he wants to sponsor me and i'm in Canada on work permit,
Can he sponsor me or he has to wait for five years ?

thank you for your answers in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I just had some inquiries and I hope some one can answer them..

so, my boyfriend came to Canada when he was a kid with his family as a protected person 12 years ago and then my boyfriend's mother got married to a man who was also a protected person then he became my bf's step father.

Then, his step father, as a protected person applied for PR including PR for his wife( my bf's mom), my boyfriend and my bf's siblings. And they all got PR!

So, my boyfriend got his PR 2 years ago
**we got married few months ago!**

Now, he wants to sponsor me and i'm in Canada on work permit,
Can he sponsor me or he has to wait for five years ?

thank you for your answers in advance
Provided you did not live together for a year before he became a PR, he can sponsor you once you are married or common-law.

rose9797

Jun 12, 2019
Provided you did not live together for a year before he became a PR, he can sponsor you once you are married or common-law.
I just wanted to know since we are married now, can he sponsor me right away or he has to wait for five years.

he did not live with me before he got his PR ( but why does that matter )

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just wanted to know since we are married now, can he sponsor me right away or he has to wait for five years.

he did not live with me before he got his PR ( but why does that matter )
Because if you were common-law before he became a PR, you would not be able to be sponsored.

rose9797

Jun 12, 2019
why is that ? ( just curious )
-- ** He got his PR because his step dad was eligible to apply for PR so his step dad sponsored and applied PR for the whole family along with his own application. So I believe my boyfriend's PR was sponsored by his step dad in a way so I read online if a person was sponsored for PR then he can't sponsor anyone for five years .. so, can my boyfriend sponsor me..?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
why is that ? ( just curious )
-- ** He got his PR because his step dad was eligible to apply for PR so his step dad sponsored and applied PR for the whole family along with his own application. So I believe my boyfriend's PR was sponsored by his step dad in a way so I read online if a person was sponsored for PR then he can't sponsor anyone for five years .. so, can my boyfriend sponsor me..?
If he became common-law with you before becoming a PR, you would have been excluded as a family member.

He wasn't sponsored. As I said in the first response, he can sponsor you once you are married or common-law.

rose9797

Jun 12, 2019
If he became common-law with you before becoming a PR, you would have been excluded as a family member.

He wasn't sponsored. As I said in the first response, he can sponsor you once you are married or common-law.
ok thank you so much ! but I am not sure if he was NOT sponsored it seems confusing as his step dad kind of sponsored him but they all applied for PR together so im not sure

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
ok thank you so much ! but I am not sure if he was NOT sponsored it seems confusing as his step dad kind of sponsored him but they all applied for PR together so im not sure
If the father applied for PR, the rest of the family would be dependents, not sponsored.

Reactions: rose9797

rose9797

Jun 12, 2019
If the father applied for PR, the rest of the family would be dependents, not sponsored.
oh okay thank you Wow I didn't know that.. is there a rule about dependents ?? ... can a dependent person who got his pr two years ago sponsor his wife who is in Canada on work permit ? because I thought that since he is dependant so he is responsibility of his step dad for at least 3 years ... NOT sure..

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
oh okay thank you Wow I didn't know that.. is there a rule about dependents ?? ... can a dependent person who got his pr two years ago sponsor his wife who is in Canada on work permit ? because I thought that since he is dependant so he is responsibility of his step dad for at least 3 years ... NOT sure..
There is no block to a "dependent" PR from sponsoring a new spouse or common-law partner. You are "over-thinking" this.

Reactions: rose9797