+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR through Quebec (PEQ) who needs to settle in Ontario

rocko_sigma

May 16, 2017
Hi,
I am a Mexican citizen who applied for permanent residence through Quebec's PEQ. I studied at McGill as an int'l student and worked for a bit in Montreal after graduation in 2012. I was granted PR status in 2014 and landed in Canada on June 2014. My current PR card expires on December 2019. I have been living in the US ever since the land date, as I was going to grad school and working in California.

This year I applied to medical school and got accepted by University of Toronto and an American med school, but rejected from McGill. I want to go back to Canada, and so intend to move to Toronto at the end of this summer. I heard anecdotally that there may be some problems with having gotten PR through Qc and settling in Ontario instead. My first choice was going back to Montreal, but I did not have an offer from McGill (interviewed and everything, but rejected on the last step). I was wondering if I will I face immigration problems if I settle in Ontario instead of Quebec; I do not really have a choice if I want to go to medical school in Canada (which I much prefer over staying in the U.S.). Any thoughts would be most welcome!

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hi,
I am a Mexican citizen who applied for permanent residence through Quebec's PEQ. I studied at McGill as an int'l student and worked for a bit in Montreal after graduation in 2012. I was granted PR status in 2014 and landed in Canada on June 2014. My current PR card expires on December 2019. I have been living in the US ever since the land date, as I was going to grad school and working in California.

This year I applied to medical school and got accepted by University of Toronto and an American med school, but rejected from McGill. I want to go back to Canada, and so intend to move to Toronto at the end of this summer. I heard anecdotally that there may be some problems with having gotten PR through Qc and settling in Ontario instead. My first choice was going back to Montreal, but I did not have an offer from McGill (interviewed and everything, but rejected on the last step). I was wondering if I will I face immigration problems if I settle in Ontario instead of Quebec; I do not really have a choice if I want to go to medical school in Canada (which I much prefer over staying in the U.S.). Any thoughts would be most welcome!
Don't think there will be an issue ... given a fact that you have strong justification (not accepted in McGill and acceptance of UofT )..just keep all written correspondence for future reference in case if there is any query ...

Reactions: rocko_sigma

lliam1996

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
once you are PR, you are just fine. It is written in the constitution you have the rights to move inter-provicially.

rocko_sigma

May 16, 2017
Thank you both!
In case this is helpful to anyone else, I also managed to call CIC today, and the agent said that as a PR I can live and work wherever I want (unless I signed something stating a specific number of days I would reside in Quebec, which I did not. I just signed the form of intent - and my intent was true, but then McGill didn't pan out.)

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Anyone know how this works in reverse? I'm in the process of federal PR, but have been accepted to Concordia in Montreal. My worry is that I will not be able to access medical, french classes for immigrants, etc...

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Anyone know how this works in reverse? I'm in the process of federal PR, but have been accepted to Concordia in Montreal. My worry is that I will not be able to access medical, french classes for immigrants, etc...
You should be able to get classed and medical even if you get pr through EE ,if you are studying /working in Quebec ,i don't forsee any issue in that.