+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR + Study permit for Canada from India

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
Hi,

I received ITA under express entry on 28th April and completed my document submission on 15th May 2018. I received an update that my medical is clear on 26th May 2018. There has been no update after that.

I have to fly on 18th August 2018 to start my masters in Canada. I have my unconditional offer letter in place.
I am now applying for a study permit as I am not sure when my PR will come through

What documents are required for study permit from India?
Can I use IELTS General results for language eligibility?
Will there be any conflict since I am applying for PR and study permit?

Please help

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
Hi Ruha,

I applied for my student permit on 17th July. No update from either the PR side or the student permit side.

Now waiting for the best. Will update my timelines whenever anything gets through!

Good luck to you too!

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
No, it is perfectly fine to have dual intent when applying for a visa to Canada as opposed to other countries (e.g. US). However, you still have to satisfy the officer of your eligibility, your funds, and that you will respect the visa conditions and return to India after your studies.

Your application will be assessed as if you do not have a PR application, and you will have the same chances as anyone else in your country who has not applied for PR.

Bear in mind that because you qualify for PR and have a pending application does not mean that you also qualify for student visa. Do not apply if you do not have sufficient ties in India.

Reactions: jagmaker

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
No, it is perfectly fine to have dual intent when applying for a visa to Canada as opposed to other countries (e.g. US). However, you still have to satisfy the officer of your eligibility, your funds, and that you will respect the visa conditions and return to India after your studies.

Your application will be assessed as if you do not have a PR application, and you will have the same chances as anyone else in your country who has not applied for PR.

Bear in mind that because you qualify for PR and have a pending application does not mean that you also qualify for student visa. Do not apply if you do not have sufficient ties in India.
Thank you so much! This was really useful. Have applied for my student visa on July 17th. No response yet. But hoping for the best!

ruha123

Jul 29, 2018
Hi Ruha,

I applied for my student permit on 17th July. No update from either the PR side or the student permit side.

Now waiting for the best. Will update my timelines whenever anything gets through!

Good luck to you too!
Thanks! I had applied for study visa on 20th July. Waiting for updates from either side. Don't know by when I shall receive the PPR mail or the Study Permit. I have to fly to Canada on 28th August. Let's hope for the best.

dungranimahesh

Star Member
Feb 20, 2015
Hi,

I received ITA under express entry on 28th April and completed my document submission on 15th May 2018. I received an update that my medical is clear on 26th May 2018. There has been no update after that.

I have to fly on 18th August 2018 to start my masters in Canada. I have my unconditional offer letter in place.
I am now applying for a study permit as I am not sure when my PR will come through

What documents are required for study permit from India?
Can I use IELTS General results for language eligibility?

Please help
which part of canada you going? i guess you need acedamic ielts to take a admision in college or university in canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much! This was really useful. Have applied for my student visa on July 17th. No response yet. But hoping for the best!
Have you spoken to your university about how long they will hold your spot and whether deferral to January is needed?

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
which part of canada you going? i guess you need acedamic ielts to take a admision in college or university in canada.
I am going to Sudbury, Ontario. I have the admission. I just need to get the visa, and there was no rule specifying that I need to give any English eligibility exam for study permit, which is different from SPP. Now hoping for the best.

Reactions: dungranimahesh

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
Have you spoken to your university about how long they will hold your spot and whether deferral to January is needed?
Not yet. Still hoping for a visa. Will speak to them in mid-August, as my course begins in the last week of August

jagmaker

Jun 29, 2018
Thanks! I had applied for study visa on 20th July. Waiting for updates from either side. Don't know by when I shall receive the PPR mail or the Study Permit. I have to fly to Canada on 28th August. Let's hope for the best.
Hi Ruha,

I got a student acknowledgement letter yesterday morning stating that my immigration request has reached Delhi. Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks after my application. Online answers indicate that this means they have started reviewing my application. Now hoping for the best as there is no timeline specified.

dungranimahesh

Star Member
Feb 20, 2015
I am going to Sudbury, Ontario. I have the admission. I just need to get the visa, and there was no rule specifying that I need to give any English eligibility exam for study permit, which is different from SPP. Now hoping for the best.
I am living in Timmins which is 3 hrs away from Sudbury. When are you fying? Which part of India you are from ?

ruha123

Jul 29, 2018
Hi Ruha,

I got a student acknowledgement letter yesterday morning stating that my immigration request has reached Delhi. Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks after my application. Online answers indicate that this means they have started reviewing my application. Now hoping for the best as there is no timeline specified.
Ah! Okay! All the best mate! Tomorrow will be 2 weeks after my application. Did you apply via vfs or online?