+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR staying 2 yrs on US passport

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have been travelling as a visitor in the past, just continue doing that.

delray

Jan 21, 2013
Leon said:
As long as you have more than 730 days in the past 5 years that you can prove, you will be fine.
[/quote
Thanks for your encouragement, Leon. Should I return as a visitor or as a PR awaiting my application decision?]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you return as an old PR, they may give you trouble at the border but as long as you meet the residency requirements, there is not much they can do. The worst they can do is report you and you will have to appeal for your PR but you meet the requirements anyway so they can not revoke your PR based on not having met the requirements at some point in the past as long as you meet them now.

delray

Jan 21, 2013
thanks Leon, I don't want to be reported and technically I would need a travel document to reenter as a PR without a PR card. Perhaps I could return as a visitor and if queeried, tell them further I am coming in to await the decision and or appointment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't need a travel document if you are visa exempt. A travel document is more for the airline than immigration. Technically, you are supposed to tell them you are a PR though but technically they are also supposed to have it on record and ask you.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Hi,
I am in the same situation, I am a landed immigrant since 1966 although I still have a UK passport. I came back into Canada on a visitors visa and have remained in Canada for 2 years now, my question is, can I safely apply for my pr card now? I would like to be able to travel and sponsor my children so that they can be with me legally here in Canada. Do I need an extra 6 months or is 2 years out of the last 5 years enough? I have been working and paying taxes during this time as well. Thankyou!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoezozo said:
Hi,
I am in the same situation, I am a landed immigrant since 1966 although I still have a UK passport. I came back into Canada on a visitors visa and have remained in Canada for 2 years now, my question is, can I safely apply for my pr card now? I would like to be able to travel and sponsor my children so that they can be with me legally here in Canada. Do I need an extra 6 months or is 2 years out of the last 5 years enough? I have been working and paying taxes during this time as well. Thankyou!
As long as you can prove that you have been living in Canada for at least 730 days in the past 5 years, you can apply to renew your PR card and apply to sponsor your dependent children and spouse. You do not need an extra 6 months but an extra 2-4 weeks might be good to have.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Thankyou Leon,

I have a question regarding my imm100 document. I lost the original so I did the paperwork to receive a verification of my status. Now, when I filled out the documentation they asked me if, when I landed, I was married, I answered no, and now on the verification document I received it says I am single, which I am not. Can I amend this? My name is exactly the same, and on the original document there is no mention of my marital status. If I had been asked my current marital status on the application I would have answered that I am married, but it specifically said when I entered Canada. I know that if I am going to sponsor my children I will be asked my marital status and I dont want confusion on that point. I do still have a photocopy of the original imm100 document so maybe I should use that for the application. What do you think, how should I proceed?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You landed when you were single and therefore your landing document or verification would say that. I am sure they see that your marriage certificate has a later date on it and that you were in fact married after you landed.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Thankyou again, Leon.
Is there a way to update my status? Or is declaring married in my pr card application enough? I have been reading about these people who cannot sponsor because they marry before landing and dont disclose it in their pr application, I just want to be sure I am going about things correctly. As long as I check the married box I am fine, right?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoezozo said:
Thankyou again, Leon.
Is there a way to update my status? Or is declaring married in my pr card application enough? I have been reading about these people who cannot sponsor because they marry before landing and dont disclose it in their pr application, I just want to be sure I am going about things correctly. As long as I check the married box I am fine, right?
The Verification of Status document will reflect the historical details as at landing date. Fill out the correct marital status with proof i.e. marriage certificate on the sponsorship forms. The people who have issues are those who landed after their marital status changed and they never notified CIC...the IRPA and Federal Court classes their dependents as not being members of the Family Class when they inevitably try to sponsor. As such the Federal Court has no jurisdiction to hear their rejected sponsorship applications.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have no obligation to update your status with immigration if it changes after you land. You have no obligation to report to them that you have gotten married or had x children in the meantime. However, when you apply for something, you tell the truth. If they ask about your marital status, you write what it is today and if they ask if you have children, you write that you do.

zoezozo

Feb 5, 2013
Thankyou so much, its a lot to take in. Is there any advantage to getting a lawyer to do the paperwork for the sponsorship? I was quoted 2000 dollars plus the government fees, and medical etc. If I thought it might expediate things or guarantee you have no mistakes it might be worth the money you spend on lawyer fees. People seem able to get through the paperwork without help though, what are your thoughts? I am going to look to see if there is a separate thread about this. Again, thankyou for your replies!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A lawyer to renew a PR card? It is a waste of money in my opinion.