+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR staus ( not meeting 730 days)

robal

Star Member
Sep 19, 2015
Hello sir, One of relative have PR of canada .that is expiring in sept 20 .in last five year he spend on ly 50 days in Canada. He went canada two time one in 2015 for one month and in 2017 june for one month . As he fell ill and come to india in 2018 he admitted to hospital and diagnosis with TB of stomach and Kidney disease and remain under treatment dialysis for year and have kidney transplants in dec 2018 .after that he remain under observation..now he is ok but due to covid risk unable to go by special flights ,
how he protect his pr status and what is the chance if he apply to renew his card on his medical reason.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Your only hope is to either attempt to come to Canada right now, and not leave for two years, if you're allowed in OR to apply for a PRTD and pray that the medical excuses will waive the residency obligations.

Additional note: if the PR card expires on September 20, it's highly likely you landed before then - your initial 5-year period as a PR is based on when you land and not the PR card.

robal

Star Member
Sep 19, 2015
If ,I GO ON 3OTH OF THIS AUGUST .CAN I ENTER IN CANADA.OR THEY REFUSE ME TO ENTER AS
EXPIRY ON CARD IS 20TH SEPT.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If ,I GO ON 3OTH OF THIS AUGUST .CAN I ENTER IN CANADA.OR THEY REFUSE ME TO ENTER AS
EXPIRY ON CARD IS 20TH SEPT.
You will be able to enter but you could get reported for not meeting your residency obligations. The arguments againat you will be that you could have remained in Canada starting in 2015 and you also could have returned in the 2nd half of 2019 which is 6+ months after your kidney tranaplant. That is usually plsnty of time to recover from a kidney trnasplant. You are going to have to look into the cost of your medication in Canada since Canada doesn't have national pharmacare program.

robal

Star Member
Sep 19, 2015
It means I should go and stay there for 730 days and then renew my card. Medication cost hv to see..
If I apply for Travel document I will loose my status. Plz suggest but will be good for me finally.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It means I should go and stay there for 730 days and then renew my card. Medication cost hv to see..
If I apply for Travel document I will loose my status. Plz suggest but will be good for me finally.
You don't qualify for a travel document. Yout option ia to arrive before your PR card expires and try to not get reported or apply for a PRRD based on H&C reasons. If you have a US visa you can fly to the US, stay in thr US for 14+ days and try to enter the US/Canadian border without getting reported.

robal

Star Member
Sep 19, 2015
This is confirmed that I can enter ..before PR card expire..or they can disallow me to enter and return back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is confirmed that I can enter ..before PR card expire..or they can disallow me to enter and return back.
If you arrive in Canada before your PR card expires, then you will be allowed to enter the country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada extended visa date for travel for pr card ? For 6 month is it true.?
No - this isn't true. No such announcement has been made.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello sir, One of relative have PR of canada .that is expiring in sept 20 .in last five year he spend on ly 50 days in Canada. He went canada two time one in 2015 for one month and in 2017 june for one month . As he fell ill and come to india in 2018 he admitted to hospital and diagnosis with TB of stomach and Kidney disease and remain under treatment dialysis for year and have kidney transplants in dec 2018 .after that he remain under observation..now he is ok but due to covid risk unable to go by special flights ,
how he protect his pr status and what is the chance if he apply to renew his card on his medical reason.
the best choice for your relative is: stay in India.
due to the organ transplant and continuing observation, the stress of being in a new place it not going to be good for his health.
the best wishes in India.

Last edited:

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
Specific to your air travel: Highly likely scenario: You won't be allowed to board a flight to Canada, and the only recourse will be to Appeal the decision to IRB since the residency requirement is not met by a big count. Less likely scenario: You will be allowed to enter, with reporting (means will be issued a removal order, that you may appeal to IRB).
Both scenarios, since the residency is short by a huge count, and unless H&C considerations are allowed (need to establish existing strong family linkages in Canada and NO establishment in home country..which is tough), less chances of a successful appeal.

The travel to US and crossing via the land border to Canada is also subject to residency check, but in all probability will be allowed in by CBSA, while the reporting to IRCC may/may-not happen regarding residency obligation.

I believe you will need a consultation with experienced lawyer, so you have the right advise.

Having said this, relative to Canada, India has better quick address medical support system as long as one can afford it, and if you for see a continued need for medical attention, you may want to consider that in your overall decision.

Please treat this as my opinion...am not a legal expert. Best wishes!

Reactions: mpsqra

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to clarify previous post above in case any confusion about boarding a flight. The OP would be able to board a flight to Canada whilst their PR card is still valid. . The issue comes once the card expires given would need to apply for a PRTD without which then cannot board but in applying for a PRTD the OP would likely lose their PR status due to having failed the RO..

Note also that assuming the OP plans to arrive by August 30 they will need to follow the 14 day quarantine requirement which although a challenge on its own may well be even more so given their medical condition and treatment requirement if any

Reactions: mpsqra and scylla