+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status

sansan

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
Hi,

My son renounced his Canadian PR status, and wondering how can he regain his PR status again.

He is now in Canada for holiday, after renouncing his PR status.

Would appreciate if you could direct the right direction.

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
When I arrive first I have to get a PR
I'm sorry but your comment appears to be unfinished. It makes little sense at the moment.
What is your question?

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
Hi ,

I landed with my family " my wife " and kids in Sep 2015, They traveled back in Oct 2015 and they didn't visit Canada again. Now they want to come back to Canada by June 2020. Their PR cards still valid until Nov 2020. I called IRCC they told me that they could come in and they have to stay in Canada for 2 years till they could apply for their PR Cards renewal. But the officer at the Point of entry might question them and they have to convince him that they are coming with the intention to stay permanently in Canada otherwise he might cancel their statues and let them in as visitors. I referred to a consultant and she advised me to go through a " PR renewal with Humanitarian and compassionate arguments". However, another friend told me that since their PR Cards are still valid no one could prevent them from entering the country.
I'm so confused now and I need your advice

Thanks in Advance
Mahmoud

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi ,

I landed with my family " my wife " and kids in Sep 2015, They traveled back in Oct 2015 and they didn't visit Canada again. Now they want to come back to Canada by June 2020. Their PR cards still valid until Nov 2020. I called IRCC they told me that they could come in and they have to stay in Canada for 2 years till they could apply for their PR Cards renewal. But the officer at the Point of entry might question them and they have to convince him that they are coming with the intention to stay permanently in Canada otherwise he might cancel their statues and let them in as visitors. I referred to a consultant and she advised me to go through a " PR renewal with Humanitarian and compassionate arguments". However, another friend told me that since their PR Cards are still valid no one could prevent them from entering the country.
I'm so confused now and I need your advice

Thanks in Advance
Mahmoud
What's with the quotes around "my wife"? Is she not your wife?

It doesn't matter if their PR cards are valid. The fact that they will have been out of Canada for nearly 5 years means that they have a high chance of being stopped and possibly reported for failing to meet the RO. They will still be allowed to enter.

Are there H&C grounds?

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
What's with the quotes around "my wife"? Is she not your wife?

It doesn't matter if their PR cards are valid. The fact that they will have been out of Canada for nearly 5 years means that they have a high chance of being stopped and possibly reported for failing to meet the RO. They will still be allowed to enter.

Are there H&C grounds?

She is still my wife . So they will be allowed to enter but could you please explain what do you mean " reported for failing to meet rsisedency obligations " ? .. i.e would they have their PR statues canceled ? and in this case they have to deport Canada and I sponser them again .. That's why I refered to the consultant .Taking about H&C My father in law is suffering from Liver Cancer since 3 years and my wife is taking care of him .
I'm thinkg of the safest scenario tyo have them here in Canada by next summer and the point is I couldn't sponser them since thier PR Cards are still valid .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She is still my wife . So they will be allowed to enter but could you please explain what do you mean " reported for failing to meet rsisedency obligations " ? .. i.e would they have their PR statues canceled ? and in this case they have to deport Canada and I sponser them again .. That's why I refered to the consultant .Taking about H&C My father in law is suffering from Liver Cancer since 3 years and my wife is taking care of him .
I'm thinkg of the safest scenario tyo have them here in Canada by next summer and the point is I couldn't sponser them since thier PR Cards are still valid .
If reported, their PR status would be revoked. They would be in Canada as visitors and you could sponsor them again.

Cruiser81

Dec 3, 2016
If reported, their PR status would be revoked. They would be in Canada as visitors and you could sponsor them again.
But they have to deport Canada again as their statues would be vistors , Right ? or Could I sponser them while they are in Canada and get the Kids into schools

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But they have to deport Canada again as their statues would be vistors , Right ? or Could I sponser them while they are in Canada and get the Kids into schools
You could sponsor them here. Whether the kids could attend school depends on the school/board.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They would lose access to the public health system as well. Your father in law got cancer 3 years ago so your family could have returned to Canada anytime in the first 2 years so your H&C argument is not very strong.

Nchoudhary

Jul 23, 2019
How long one has to stay in Canada to maintain PR status in the 5 year period ? If a person lives for short duration and has to go back to origin country for some reason and then comes back when he is left with 2 years then would the PR be still valid ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long one has to stay in Canada to maintain PR status in the 5 year period ? If a person lives for short duration and has to go back to origin country for some reason and then comes back when he is left with 2 years then would the PR be still valid ?
You have to live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years to meet the PR residency obligation.

Yes, your PR will still be valid in the circumstance you have described. You want to make sure you return before you are outside of Canada for more than three years. Once you are in Canada, you may need to live in Canada for 2 years without leaving in order to meet the residency obligation.