+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status

Nchoudhary

Jul 23, 2019
You have to live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years to meet the PR residency obligation.

Yes, your PR will still be valid in the circumstance you have described. You want to make sure you return before you are outside of Canada for more than three years. Once you are in Canada, you may need to live in Canada for 2 years without leaving in order to meet the residency obligation.
I have 2 years left now, I couldn’t travel before due to unavailability of flights due to pandemic plus I was pregnant so couldn’t fly due to medical reasons. Am now stressed if my PR status would get impacted due to me not being there and what if I reach there with few months less in 2 years would my status get canceled ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have 2 years left now, I couldn’t travel before due to unavailability of flights due to pandemic plus I was pregnant so couldn’t fly due to medical reasons. Am now stressed if my PR status would get impacted due to me not being there and what if I reach there with few months less in 2 years would my status get canceled ?
There is a whole separate forum on residency obligation issues:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

You can read up there.

I don't fully understand your question but simple answer: return to Canada as soon as possible and plan on remaining in Canada with as little travel as possible (ideally none) until back in compliance.

This is also true if you are slightly out of compliance. But MUCH less complicated in terms of future problems and risk if you return BEFORE you are out of compliance.