+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR status

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Anne.hoks, Oct 24, 2019.

  1. If I overstay in the US for over a year and return to Canada b4 my PR card expires, Will it affect the renewal of my PR card?!
  2. Only if you don’t meet residency obligation. It will, however, affect you chances of returning to the US or obtaining a visa to other countries.
  3. Will u please tell me the residency obligation I must meet?!
    Thank you
  4. How long have you been outside Canada? You have to be living in Canada for at least 2 years during the last 5 years. That's what is called residency obligation.
  5. I had lived in Canada for over 20 years since 1998, and have been outside of Canada for less than 2 years, about a year & a half.
  6. Then you will be fine. If you live outside longer than 3 years (continuously) then you will have some problems.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  7. Thank you so much for the info!
  8. Note that once you leave the US, you will be automatically banned from entering the US for 10 years. Once you leave, make sure you don't try returning for the next 10 years.
  9. I hear you.
    Thank you!
  10. You also likely lost your health coverage in Canada and will need to reapply even if you have a valid health card.
  11. Ooh! Good to know.
    Thx for the heads up!

Share This Page