+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Status getting married

MastaRafa

Feb 19, 2017
Hi everyone,

Quick question. I am living in Canada since March 2018 as a permanent resident. My fiancée and I wish to get married this May 2019. We would like to travel outside of Canada in August and return in September.

My question is: After the marriage, will I have to inform IMMIGRATION that my marital status changed since I obtained the PR? At the time when I filed my application i was not married, so I assume that this information will be still saved „on my file“.

Generally, I am just wandering which information the officer at the airport is able to see when I show him my PR card.

Additionally, I also have a daughter now which is a Canadian citizen as well so same question here: do I have to report anything? Since back then at the time of arrival in 2018 I had no dependands?

Just want to double check and make sure that there will be no surprises when I leave and re-enter Canada.

Thank you all!

Best regards,
R

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
The IRCC only cares about your spouse or partner until the time you land in Canada (2018).. not after unless you want to sponsor her.. the only reason they may care is unless you 2 were in a relationship BEFORE you land in Canada and mislead IRCC during your PR application process

No need to declare your daughter as she is already a Canadian at birth

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks like you and your gf have been living together for over a year (in and out of Canada') so you have been common law for a while. You likely should have been declaring yourself as common law.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
In previous posting you referred to the individual as your "spouse" all the way back in 2017. You were not single,so as canuck78 mentioned, you were more than likely common law

Last edited: