+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Sponsor Living outside Canada, Help!

sarasen77

Aug 29, 2017
Hi, I'm a Canadian PR for a year now, but living in Lebanon (outside Canada), I got married a month ago and would like to sponsor my wife and move together to Canada.

Question: Can I apply from Lebanon, or do I have to move to Canada myself, in order to sponsor my wife?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm a Canadian PR for a year now, but living in Lebanon (outside Canada), I got married a month ago and would like to sponsor my wife and move together to Canada.

Question: Can I apply from Lebanon, or do I have to move to Canada myself, in order to sponsor my wife?
You need to move to Canada without you wife and remain n Canada during the sponsorship process.

Reactions: YVR123

sarasen77

Aug 29, 2017
You need to move to Canada without you wife and remain n Canada during the sponsorship process.
Thank you for your answer, so I have to stay in Canada throughout the sponsorship application processing period, or I can just apply in Canada and fly back to be with my wife until we have a decision?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your answer, so I have to stay in Canada throughout the sponsorship application processing period, or I can just apply in Canada and fly back to be with my wife until we have a decision?
A short vacation of 2-3 weeks seems to be tolerated but otherwise you must remain in Canada for the duration of the sponsorship application. It will take approximately 12 months.

chevykim

Jul 29, 2019

Hello,

I am the PA and we sent the app outside of Canada. You can still apply while being outside Canada, but you have to show proof that you will live in Canada later. My case is my husband (citizen) was working in Vietnam, we sent evidences saying he will move back to Canada while the app is being processed (he is going back to school, we included offer letter from his university and his payment for the tuition).

Just read on the website cic.gov.ca or so and you can find all the info you need to apply. :)

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
Hello,

I am the PA and we sent the app outside of Canada. You can still apply while being outside Canada, but you have to show proof that you will live in Canada later. My case is my husband (citizen) was working in Vietnam, we sent evidences saying he will move back to Canada while the app is being processed (he is going back to school, we included offer letter from his university and his payment for the tuition).

Just read on the website cic.gov.ca or so and you can find all the info you need to apply. :)
Your husband is a citizen so he has the option to apply from outside of Canada.
PR holder do NOT have this option. If he still decide to do it he risk being denied due to misrepresentation (and getting in troubles...)

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Incorrect advice. The OP is a PR and must be in Canada to sponsor.

Different rules apply to you since your husband is a citizen.

chevykim

Jul 29, 2019
Your husband is a citizen so he has the option to apply from outside of Canada.
PR holder do NOT have this option. If he still decide to do it he risk being denied due to misrepresentation (and getting in troubles...)
Oh thank you. Sorry my bad. Then there is no other choice.