+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Since vs PR Card Expiry

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
What's the difference between PR Since and PR Card Expiry dates on the PR Card?
Why on my card, it says PR Since July 2021 and PR Card expires in September 2023?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why on my card, it says PR Since July 2021 and PR Card expires in September 2023?
Note, your other posts say July 2018, not 2021.

They also say 'a friend' but that was pretty obvious anyway.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I've never seen anyone that landed in 2021 and have a PR Card that expires so soon (in 2 years!!!)

I think our "friend"'s timeline looks more likely. Landed in July 2018 and having PR card that expires in Sept 2023.

Anyway, as long as you stay in Canada and do not travel out, you are OK with an expired PR card.
Do not apply for renewal until you meet/exceed the RO ( 730 days in the previous 5 years) for renewal. (Usually people apply with buffer months/days)

It's OK to post the real date and real issue about yourself. We don't really know who you are anyway.

Reactions: _Harry_

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
Hi YVR123, thank you for replying.
This query is about me but in the haste of asking query, I messed up the date. You're right. The PR start says July 2018 not July 2021.
My doubt is - Can I apply PR renewal if I don't meet criteria in July 2023 but in Aug 2023 even though my PR start says July 2018?

I've never seen anyone that landed in 2021 and have a PR Card that expires so soon (in 2 years!!!)

I think our "friend"'s timeline looks more likely. Landed in July 2018 and having PR card that expires in Sept 2023.

Anyway, as long as you stay in Canada and do not travel out, you are OK with an expired PR card.
Do not apply for renewal until you meet/exceed the RO ( 730 days in the previous 5 years) for renewal. (Usually people apply with buffer months/days)

It's OK to post the real date and real issue about yourself. We don't really know who you are anyway.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My doubt is - Can I apply PR renewal if I don't meet criteria in July 2023 but in Aug 2023 even though my PR start says July 2018?
Already answered in your other thread. Wait until you are in compliance with the residency obligation.

(In a general sense, I believe the guideline is that PRs who are in compliance can apply up to nine months before card expiry, so that they won't have issues with travel. Those who are not in compliance - don't do this.)

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi YVR123, thank you for replying.
This query is about me but in the haste of asking query, I messed up the date. You're right. The PR start says July 2018 not July 2021.
I though your question has been answered.

DO NOT apply to renew your PR card until you have met or exceed your RO. i.e. be physically in Canada for 730 days plus some buffer days/months. There is no reason to apply in July 2023 if you do not meet RO. They will process your renewal request and most likely will refuse the application (and that will take months before you find out the refusal). It's better to wait till you at least meet your RO before applying for PR card renewal. (note the date and sign date on the application is when you calculate your RO, not when you expect your package will reach IRCC)

Unless you need to travel, you DO NOT need a valid PR card. Stay in Canada and apply for renewal AFTER you have enough RO days. Then wait for your new PR card before you travel.

When you cross the border, CBSA officier can check your RO even with a valid PR card and decide to report you or not if you do not meet RO.

Reactions: _Harry_

JBKJN

Jan 6, 2021
Hi,

I became a PR on April, and left Canada a few days after that. Before that, I was in a trip for 65 days in 2022 year. My question is can I stay outside Canada for 6 months or the days before I became a PR (65 days) will be counted
toward not being physically in Canada (6 month rule in a year).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I became a PR on April, and left Canada a few days after that. Before that, I was in a trip for 65 days in 2022 year. My question is can I stay outside Canada for 6 months or the days before I became a PR (65 days) will be counted
toward not being physically in Canada (6 month rule in a year).
Days before you became a PR do not count for PR residency obligation. There is no six months in a year rule.

The PR rule is min 730 days in five years, or, if easier to count, no more than 1095 days outside of Canada in five years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBKJN and YVR123

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I though your question has been answered.

DO NOT apply to renew your PR card until you have met or exceed your RO. i.e. be physically in Canada for 730 days plus some buffer days/months. There is no reason to apply in July 2023 if you do not meet RO. They will process your renewal request and most likely will refuse the application (and that will take months before you find out the refusal). It's better to wait till you at least meet your RO before applying for PR card renewal. (note the date and sign date on the application is when you calculate your RO, not when you expect your package will reach IRCC)

Unless you need to travel, you DO NOT need a valid PR card. Stay in Canada and apply for renewal AFTER you have enough RO days. Then wait for your new PR card before you travel.

When you cross the border, CBSA officier can check your RO even with a valid PR card and decide to report you or not if you do not meet RO.
Thank you again for clarification. I understood what you're saying @YVR123. My doubt, however, is not about RO and applying PR card renew. My doubt is - Am I still eligible to do so considering my PR started in July 2018 and till July 2023, I won't be able to do my 730 days inside Canada?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. The confusion is that am I still allowed to apply PR renew in Aug or before my PR card expires even though from the start of my PR in July 2018 and during next 5 consecutive years till July 2023, I won't be able to do my 730 days inside Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you again for clarification. I understood what you're saying @YVR123. My doubt, however, is not about RO and applying PR card renew. My doubt is - Am I still eligible to do so considering my PR started in July 2018 and till July 2023, I won't be able to do my 730 days inside Canada?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. The confusion is that am I still allowed to apply PR renew in Aug or before my PR card expires even though from the start of my PR in July 2018 and during next 5 consecutive years till July 2023, I won't be able to do my 730 days inside Canada?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

-If, when you apply, you are in compliance with your residency obligation (on that day looking back five years you have been in-Canada 730 days), then you are fine. Period.

-If what you mean from your text above is whether or not there is some 'punishment' or problem for not having been in compliance at some point in the past - no, there is not.

Is that what your question was?

Reactions: YVR123 and _Harry_

_Harry_

Sep 29, 2016
I'm not sure I understand your question.

-If, when you apply, you are in compliance with your residency obligation (on that day looking back five years you have been in-Canada 730 days), then you are fine. Period.

-If what you mean from your text above is whether or not there is some 'punishment' or problem for not having been in compliance at some point in the past - no, there is not.

Is that what your question was?
Yes it was. Thank you!

Reactions: armoured