+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR, SIN, Change of address after PR

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
Hi guys,

1- Can I apply for OHIP before coming to Canada?

I read on Ontario website that they need home address with my name on it. Or an insurance policy. Does this mean, for the 3 months health insurance which I will purchase, I can use this insurance policy and use my relatives address to include on this insurance? And later on when I have my place then I can update them

OR

I can only apply for the OHIP after a month’s stay in Canada?

2- Can I apply for SIN before arriving in Canada or I can apply only after I get my PR card when I arrive in Canada?

3- For change in address and phone number, I should contact my Visa office via Web forum or Ottawa?

Thank you very much!

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
1) No you can't apply for OHIP before landing in Canada , you need proof of residence in Canada (bank statement)/ phone bills.

2) SIN will be given only after landing and can be taken after the landing formalities are done.

3) raise a webform

Reactions: eninevo

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
1) No you can't apply for OHIP before landing in Canada , you need proof of residence in Canada (bank statement)/ phone bills.

2) SIN will be given only after landing and can be taken after the landing formalities are done.

3) raise a webform
Dear @pavan23

Thank you very much for your kind guidance. One last question on number 3. Should i raise the webform to my Visa office in Singapore, or Ottawa, because when you raise a webforum, it asks you for this option. Please advise?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can apply anytime during the first 3 months just keep your proof of when you arrived. You will need your current address on the card so if you are trying to rent a place in the first 3 months then you can just apply with that address and your lease. The start date will be 3 months after permanent arrival irregardless of when you apply.

Reactions: eninevo

eninevo

Star Member
Apr 4, 2018
You can apply anytime during the first 3 months just keep your proof of when you arrived. You will need your current address on the card so if you are trying to rent a place in the first 3 months then you can just apply with that address and your lease. The start date will be 3 months after permanent arrival irregardless of when you apply.
Perfecto! Thanks a million. Can i please bug you with few more queries? if yes they are as follow; :)

I read about B4 and B4A forms and BS186 and BS186A. This is my understanding
  • Form BSF 186 (Filled for the items you're bringing in during your first landing)
  • Form BSF 186a (Filled for the items that you will be bringing in when settling - Good to follow)
1- Please advise whether the forms to be filled by new immigrant first time landing to Canada are BS186/BS186A?

2- Also it was mentioned on CBSA site that the officer will complete Form BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document. So we only have to fill the BS186 form? And if i have more items then I can make an excel?

Thank you