+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR responsibilities after divorce in home country?

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Hello, I sponsored my wife and we got PR about 1.5 years ago. She is employed in a good Canadian company. I am self employed. She added my last name after hers.

We recently flew to our home country and had a no fault divorce.

---

What our are responsibilities in Canada?

I read from other posts that we don't have to do anything about Immigration, PR, CIC point of view. And we'll both individually be able to get our citizenship when our time comes.

Do we have any responsibilities in Drivetest? Service Ontario? Service Canada? Country Consulate? Any other government institution?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I sponsored my wife and we got PR about 1.5 years ago. She is employed in a good Canadian company. I am self employed. She added my last name after hers.

---

I read from other posts that we don't have to do anything about Immigration, PR, CIC point of view. And we'll both individually be able to get our citizenship when our time comes.

Do we have any responsibilities in Drivetest? Service Ontario? Service Canada? Country Consulate? Any other government institution?

Thanks
If you have been living in Canada it looks strange that you didn't file for divorce in Canada and decided to fly to another country especially during a pandemic.

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
If you have been living in Canada it looks strange that you didn't file for divorce in Canada and decided to fly to another country especially during a pandemic.
We were married in our home country. And they divorce in a week back home. In Canada we have to live separately for a year and involve lawyers. We didn't want to do that.

Reactions: mpsqra

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

---

Thanks
As far as I'm aware the main things would be for filing taxes and any Govt program from which benefits may be linked to marital status. (assuming you do not have children)

The rest would mainly be private matters such as if linked bank accounts, property ownership, etc.

It may still be worth consulting a lawyer.

For future use, you may want to see if any documentation authentication or certified copies and translations so that legal steps don't need to be done in future.

But again, these are really private matter.

Reactions: esqart

esqart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
As far as I'm aware the main things would be for filing taxes and any Govt program from which benefits may be linked to marital status. (assuming you do not have children)

The rest would mainly be private matters such as if linked bank accounts, property ownership, etc.

It may still be worth consulting a lawyer.

For future use, you may want to see if any documentation authentication or certified copies and translations so that legal steps don't need to be done in future.

But again, these are really private matter.
Thanks. Yes, we have no children and we have already handled the private matters, just was curious if there were government matters involved.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks. Yes, we have no children and we have already handled the private matters, just was curious if there were government matters involved.
1. Not at this time, but the divorce in your could be questioned as to it's validity. https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/divorce/sd.html

Having a foreign divorce recognized in Canada

Canada generally recognizes a divorce from another country if:

• the divorce was valid under the laws of that country; and
  • one or both spouses lived in that country for a full year immediately before applying for the divorce.

There may also be other factors that could affect whether or not your divorce would be recognized in Canada. If you are not sure whether your divorce would be recognized in Canada, you should speak to a lawyer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We were married in our home country. And they divorce in a week back home. In Canada we have to live separately for a year and involve lawyers. We didn't want to do that.
As others have said as resident of Canada you are usually expected to get a Canadian divorce. You need to check with a Canadian lawyer to make sure your foreign divorce will be recognized.