Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Reported bcz one month is less from two years ?:/
Once you've spent 36 months outside Canada within 5 years of becoming PR, you are in violation of the RO. This is because there would be no way to meet 2 years in Canada within 5 years from date of your PR landing.

And once in violation of the RO, CBSA can report you upon any entry to Canada and start process to revoke your PR status. As i said whether or not they decide to investigate your RO upon entry, is up to any individual CBSA officer you encounter.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi Rob. I have been following your conversation with Fa93. Really informative. A question. If Fa93 applies after Bill C-24 is passed and implemented (not sure where it is stuck right now), i guess he/she will need only 24 months? Is that correct?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Rob. I have been following your conversation with Fa93. Really informative. A question. If Fa93 applies after Bill C-24 is passed and implemented (not sure where it is stuck right now), i guess he/she will need only 24 months? Is that correct?
Bill C-24 is for citizenship, which has nothing to do with PR Residency Obligation.

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017
Bill C-24 is for citizenship, which has nothing to do with PR Residency Obligation.
Hello rob
I have one more question..as i said i have to urgently leave this month for a month ..and one month will be reduced from my two years requirement..but my husbands spousal process is also going thru..so do u think when i come back in end of this years september they are gonna cancel or reject my husbands file bcz of my one month reduction from my the requirements..

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017
Plus i also asked someone experienced they said that if i leave for one month(september 5 -oct 5 2017) ..this year they are not gonna let me enter canada when am back after one month even if my pr card expires in 2018 december the point is even for one month they will stop me from entering canada

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello rob
I have one more question..as i said i have to urgently leave this month for a month ..and one month will be reduced from my two years requirement..but my husbands spousal process is also going thru..so do u think when i come back in end of this years september they are gonna cancel or reject my husbands file bcz of my one month reduction from my the requirements..
This all depends on if you're reported by CBSA upon re-entry back to Canada. As mentioned, you are currently in violation of the residency obligation.
If you're not reported, everything is fine.
If you are reported, then that starts process to revoke your PR status. You can choose to appeal, but your husband's PR app will be cancelled while waiting for the result of appeal (which can take several years).

As long as you're a PR, you always have the right to enter Canada even if you don't meet RO and are reported.

So everything here depends on the CBSA officer you encounter when returning to Canada. It is a huge risk you're taking by leaving the country, which could result in your PR status being revoked. You better make sure it's worth the risk.

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017
This all depends on if you're reported by CBSA upon re-entry back to Canada. As mentioned, you are currently in violation of the residency obligation.
If you are reported, then that starts process to revoke your PR status. You can choose to appeal, but your husband's PR app will be cancelled while waiting for the result of appeal (which can take several years).

As long as you're a PR, you always have the right to enter Canada even if you don't meet RO and are reported.

So everything here depends on the CBSA officer you encounter when returning to Canada. It is a huge risk you're taking by leaving the country, which could result in your PR status being revoked. You better make sure it's worth the risk.
So even if my pr is expiring next year 2018 december ..still on each visit entry they know how much time we spend or completed or if we are less on days or months.? Even if i go this september they will still know that am less on one month

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017

So ur saying that on this visit they can report me if they find out ..which they can right ?means on each visit they knw it...?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So even if my pr is expiring next year 2018 december ..still on each visit entry they know how much time we spend or completed or if we are less on days or months.? Even if i go this september they will still know that am less on one month
I've stated several times but I'll repeat yet again, the expiry date on your PR card is irrelevent for determining your Residency Obligation.

Having a valid PR card may cause CBSA to simply wave you in and not care, however there is no guarantee of this. If CBSA wants to they can investigate the RO of any PR entering Canada, no matter when their PR card expires, for whatever reason they want.

Again, you are putting your entire PR status at risk by travelling while in violation of RO.

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017
I've stated several times but I'll repeat yet again, the expiry date on your PR card is irreverent for determining your Residency Obligation.

Having a valid PR card may cause CBSA to simply wave you in and not care, however there is no guarantee of this. If CBSA wants to then can investigate the RO of any PR entering Canada, no matter when their PR card expires, for whatever reason they want.

Again, you are putting your entire PR status at risk by travelling while in violation of RO.
Ok thank u so much for all the help n info

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've stated several times but I'll repeat yet again, the expiry date on your PR card is irrelevent for determining your Residency Obligation.

Having a valid PR card may cause CBSA to simply wave you in and not care, however there is no guarantee of this. If CBSA wants to they can investigate the RO of any PR entering Canada, no matter when their PR card expires, for whatever reason they want.

Why doesn't CBSA report PRs that have not met RO whether at airport or land border? Seems like many people don't get reported and the RO is pretty minimal. Really should be reported if not in compliance.

Fa93

Jun 1, 2017
Why doesn't CBSA report PRs that have not met RO whether at airport or land border? Seems like many people don't get reported and the RO is pretty minimal. Really should be reported if not in compliance.
Not everyone can live in canada forever there are some urgent stuff people have to go back to do them...it might be easy for people like you bcx u people maybe are premanently in canada but i havent seen my husband in 7 months ..just bcz i dont want any issue to happen with my RO and bcz the spousal
Process is so lengthy

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
They can't do an RO investigation on every single PR entering Canada, it would take too much time. So they mainly do them on PRs where it's plainly obvious they don't meet the RO by a few simple questions i.e. they have an expired or no PR card, have a valid card but have been away for 3+ years straight, etc.

Those that have a valid PR card and are doing a short trip out of Canada probably have a better chance to enter without being reported since CBSA may not even ask about previous trips outside Canada, but again it's never guaranteed and much comes down to luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I assumed it was too labour intensive. Does seem a little ridiculous that we can't even enforce our laws but not surprising. When people leave Canada for years and don't meet the RO and then return by land and stay for 2 years and are just forgiven makes me question why we create rules/laws to follow. One of my many immigration pet peeves especially since many other immigrants would love to live in Canada on a full-time basis.