+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr renewal

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
Team, I need your suggestion on how and when I should proceed with the PR renewal application.

So I received my PR on 19 May 2017, and I had left immediately (23 may 2017) to attend to a family matter; I returned after 3 yrs on Aug 12, 2020, and lived here till the day, In between, I had to visit India for two months. I am on a full-time job under a Canadian Company.

In summary, my PR CARD expires on 17th July 2022, Number of actual preset days in Canada is 577 as of today (7th May 22), and it will be 648 Days. On the date of Expiry.

Now to my question, From my employer. For the two months I took a vacation, I have a remote agreement, and the CIC website says, says if you spent time abroad and are employed full time in Canada, those days will be counted; in that case, it will be 648 days + 60 days = 708 as on (17 July) should I wait for 15 August 2022 to start my PR renewal application or Should I wait till 12 October to complete 735 days and create my PR renewal application.

Please advise!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Team, I need your suggestion on how and when I should proceed with the PR renewal application.

So I received my PR on 19 May 2017, and I had left immediately (23 may 2017) to attend to a family matter; I returned after 3 yrs on Aug 12, 2020, and lived here till the day, In between, I had to visit India for two months. I am on a full-time job under a Canadian Company.

In summary, my PR CARD expires on 17th July 2022, Number of actual preset days in Canada is 577 as of today (7th May 22), and it will be 648 Days. On the date of Expiry.

Now to my question, From my employer. For the two months I took a vacation, I have a remote agreement, and the CIC website says, says if you spent time abroad and are employed full time in Canada, those days will be counted; in that case, it will be 648 days + 60 days = 708 as on (17 July) should I wait for 15 August 2022 to start my PR renewal application or Should I wait till 12 October to complete 735 days and create my PR renewal application.

Please advise!
The 2 months working abroad shouldn't count towards your RO. You went on vacation and continued to work remotely which doesn't count. Ypu'll need to wait until you've spent 730 days in the past 5 years although I would recommend only applying to renew your PR card with a bit more of a buffer like 30-60 days.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Agree with above - just to note, it is perfectly fine to reside and work in Canada without a current (valid) PR card.

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
The 2 months working abroad shouldn't count towards your RO. You went on vacation and continued to work remotely which doesn't count. Ypu'll need to wait until you've spent 730 days in the past 5 years although I would recommend only applying to renew your PR card with a bit more of a buffer like 30-60 days.
@canuck78, Please explain what is RO, Also I wanted to correct my statement, the two months were a remote work agreement, not a vacation. It has the dates and responsibilities.

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
@canuck78, Please explain what is RO, Also I wanted to correct my statement, the two months were a remote work agreement, not a vacation. It has the dates and responsibilities. And according to your reply, I will have to wait till Oct 25 to start my PR renewal application, Quick Question what is the current processing time of the renewal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@canuck78, Please explain what is RO, Also I wanted to correct my statement, the two months were a remote work agreement, not a vacation. It has the dates and responsibilities.
RO is residency obligation.

The time you spent working outside of Canada cannot be counted towards the residency obligation of 730 days. These two months will be counted as time outside of Canada.

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
Thank you scylla also Thank you @ustocanada49 , I was just about to post the link you shared. As per the CIC website

================================
Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?
It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:
You work outside Canada
You need to work full-time for:
  • a Canadian business or organization, or <===============This is my condition, I am employed full time under a Canadian company and they have given written consent for me to work remotely from India for two months and I have filed my taxes from 2017-2022
  • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government
===============================

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you scylla also Thank you @ustocanada49 , I was just about to post the link you shared. As per the CIC website

================================
Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?
It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:
You work outside Canada
You need to work full-time for:
  • a Canadian business or organization, or <===============This is my condition, I am employed full time under a Canadian company and they have given written consent for me to work remotely from India for two months and I have filed my taxes from 2017-2022 l
  • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government
===============================
You have asked to work remotely from your home country. Your employer has not transferred you to work abroad for a temporary period of time which then would likely count towards your RO. You are essentially working your current job but have asked to work remotely for personal reasons. The time will not count towards your RO. If it did anyone could ask their Canadian employer to work remotely abroad for months every year, for a full year, etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As per this link, it will be counted. Am I missing something? https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10
Yes, you are. You need to read the detailed information behind this rule.

It only counts if your employer transfers you to a job with their operations outside of Canada.

Your situation doesn't fall under this scenario. You're simply working remotely by choice for a few weeks. This will count as time spent outside of Canada. Unfortunately there is zero chance you can claim this time towards RO.

The detailed requirements are in the IRCC operating manual. If you read through these rules, you'll see your situation does not qualify: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf23-eng.pdf

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
So this would mean I will have to wait till Oct 30 to make it like 750 Days and apply for PR renewal; thank you all; I appreciate you taking the time and answering my queries patiently. One last question, though, in the recent past, how long has the ETA been on renewals of PR, I mean in terms of days?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So this would mean I will have to wait till Oct 30 to make it like 750 Days and apply for PR renewal; thank you all; I appreciate you taking the time and answering my queries patiently. One last question, though, in the recent past, how long has the ETA been on renewals of PR, I mean in terms of days?
Roughly over 6 months.

leobreaker

May 7, 2022
Thank you, team, Quick question how to expedite the PR renewal process assuming I apply on OCT 30, 2022 (with 750 days present in Canada); I mean, what's the current processing time for renewals and is there any fast way to speed up the process?