+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal

toobrown

Sep 6, 2012
I am a PR holder, married to a Canadian Citizen, currently living in US.
My PR card expired in March 2018 and I had applied for renewal, from US.
I am almost certain that they will ask me to come in-person to pick up the card.

Question: Do I need a visa to enter Canada? as my PR is already expired? I read thru the list of documents on the cic website however I do not have any of those. I plan to take a rental car via Detroit or Buffalo.

Thanks

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
You are a Permanent Resident.

The fact that your PR Card is no longer valid does not change this fact.

A Permanent Resident does not need a visa to enter Canada.

You will have to declare to the CBSA officer that you are a PR, and they will be able to verify this information (you may be sent to secondary for them to do this).

You can show your CoPR or even your expired PR card (+ any correspondence or evidence of your application for renewal) to support your declaration that you are a PR.

Think of it this way, when your passport expires, do you cease to be a citizen of your country? No. The same is true for the PR Card. It is a travel document much in the way a passport is. Your status does not rely on this card. Considering that you are not planning to use commercial transportation, you will not need a PR Card or PRTD to travel to Canada, but all you have to do is present yourself at the border, and be prepared to show some form of evidence that you are a PR.

Reactions: toobrown

toobrown

Sep 6, 2012
You are a Permanent Resident.

The fact that your PR Card is no longer valid does not change this fact.

A Permanent Resident does not need a visa to enter Canada.

You will have to declare to the CBSA officer that you are a PR, and they will be able to verify this information (you may be sent to secondary for them to do this).

You can show your CoPR or even your expired PR card (+ any correspondence or evidence of your application for renewal) to support your declaration that you are a PR.

Think of it this way, when your passport expires, do you cease to be a citizen of your country? No. The same is true for the PR Card. It is a travel document much in the way a passport is. Your status does not rely on this card. Considering that you are not planning to use commercial transportation, you will not need a PR Card or PRTD to travel to Canada, but all you have to do is present yourself at the border, and be prepared to show some form of evidence that you are a PR.
Great! I plan to carry additional documents with me (passport/other stuff) along with the expired PR. Thanks