+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal

Jul 22, 2013
I have been a Canadian PR since 2009, but only recently started living there permanently.I am trying to calculate my days of residence, and need help with that. I live on the US Canada border, and have made many day trips to the US, sometimes staying overnight. My question is, how are the days calculated? Is any time spent in a day considered a full day for PR purposes, or does it have to be an overnight stay. And how about short trips to the US ( a day or two overnight) Are they counted complete days out of Canada, even though I have all utilites and rent stuff going on in Canada, and my kids go to school in Canada. I mean we do actually live in Canada, but at the time of renewal of my card , I will just be on the borderline , if these day trips are counted as complete days, I wil be safe!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any part of a day spent in Canada counts as a day in Canada so if you go to the US for a day or even overnight, you have no days away from Canada. If you stay in the US for 2 nights, you would have 1 day outside Canada.

You can verify this here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf - at the top of page 11 said:
Any part of a day spent in Canada, or otherwise in compliance with A28(2)(a), is to be counted as one full day for the purpose of calculating the 730 days in a five-year period.

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks Leon
That is really re-assuring ! I have read other replies and post by you, and they really make a lot of sense! Do you mind if I ask you where do you get this information? I mean are you speaking form authority ( which it seems like from your answer ) or from experience ( which sometimes makes more sense anyways than what lawyers say ) ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
balwinderdhillon365 said:
Thanks Leon
That is really re-assuring ! I have read other replies and post by you, and they really make a lot of sense! Do you mind if I ask you where do you get this information? I mean are you speaking form authority ( which it seems like from your answer ) or from experience ( which sometimes makes more sense anyways than what lawyers say ) ;D
As for this particular piece of info, it was taken directly from the CIC website. I am not a lawyer nor do I work for immigration. I found this place a few years ago to ask a question for a coworker and stuck around. I am an immigrant myself so I do have personal experience but not with every possible situation of course. I may quote other people's experiences sometimes but mostly the CIC website.

Jul 22, 2013
My other question still remains ....e.g if I went to Canada for a few hours in a day and then went back to the US for the night. That day would count as a complete day for being in Canada ? And what about a couple of consecutive days spent out, travelling in the US ? Will half that time count or something?? I think I read that somewhere , but am not sure

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
balwinderdhillon365 said:
My other question still remains ....e.g if I went to Canada for a few hours in a day and then went back to the US for the night. That day would count as a complete day for being in Canada ? And what about a couple of consecutive days spent out, travelling in the US ? Will half that time count or something?? I think I read that somewhere , but am not sure
Any part of a day in Canada counts as a full day. Say if you left the US and arrived in Canada on a Friday, that Friday would count as a full day spent in Canada. Say you left Canada again on a Saturday, the Saturday is also a full day in Canada or if you left on a Sunday instead, you would have 3 days in Canada, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Or if you left the US on a Saturday, hopped across to Canada to have coffee and came back, that couple of hours, part of a day would count as a full day spent in Canada.

Time spent travelling in the US does not count as half days towards your PR residency requirements. There are no half days for PR residency requirements. If you spent a part of a day in Canada, that's a full day in Canada. If you didn't, then it's a full day somewhere else (outside Canada). However, time spent accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse would count as time spent in Canada and same if you were hired by a Canadian employer who posted you outside Canada for a full time position, your time spent working for that employer would also count as time spent in Canada.

caipsfasttracker

Jun 4, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with what Leon has said. I have sourced the information and can confirm its accuracy and the most recent version of information on CIC.