+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal with recently expired passport

dmurjai

Feb 29, 2016
I am wondering if I can apply for PR renewal with a recently expired passport ie 20 days.

the issue is because I have applied for citizenship and its still in process...I can't apply for renewal of my passport since i may need the existing passport for intermediate checks like Biometric needs / interview / test/ etc.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
dmurjai said:
I am wondering if I can apply for PR renewal with a recently expired passport ie 20 days.

the issue is because I have applied for citizenship and its still in process...I can't apply for renewal of my passport since i may need the existing passport for intermediate checks like Biometric needs / interview / test/ etc.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp

As per the above link it states:

One (1) main identity document

A photocopy of one of the following:

your valid passport or travel document or
the passport or travel document you had when you became a permanent resident (including the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident) or
the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada or a foreign country.
Note: The copy should show:
the document type and number;
issue and expiry date;
your name;
your photo; and
your date of birth
In exceptional cases, if it is impossible for you to obtain any of the above, you must provide a:

photocopy of any identity document issued outside Canada before you came to Canada
or
statutory declaration signed by you attesting to your identity and a statutory declaration also attesting to your identity signed by:
a person who knew you before you came to Canada (such as a family member) or
an official of an organization representing people from your country of nationality or past residence.
Format: Clear and legible photocopy

I am not sure if the expired passport will work or not.

withhardshipcomesease

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
dmurjai said:

If you have your expired landing passport, you can use that one. Otherwise, you'll need a new one.