+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL WHILE WAITING FOR CITIZENSHIP APROVAL

echorael

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Does any one know if applying to renew the PR will delay my citizenship application approval. I have applied in 2011 and test+RQ in 2012 but still waiting since then. My PR will expire next March 2015 and the processing time for PR renewals these days is 172 day. So, I am thinking to renew the PR in case some thing required me to travel but at the same time I remember that I read somewhere in this forum i don't remember who that his citizenship application was delayed to his PR renewal. I don't want to be in this trap and cause more delay to my citizenship application. The thing is that I don't know if this is true or not and if there is any connection between the two applications. I appreciate it if any one has input in this regard.

ronin21

Jul 17, 2014
echorael said:
Does any one know if applying to renew the PR will delay my citizenship application approval. I have applied in 2011 and test+RQ in 2012 but still waiting since then. My PR will expire next March 2015 and the processing time for PR renewals these days is 172 day. So, I am thinking to renew the PR in case some thing required me to travel but at the same time I remember that I read somewhere in this forum i don't remember who that his citizenship application was delayed to his PR renewal. I don't want to be in this trap and cause more delay to my citizenship application. The thing is that I don't know if this is true or not and if there is any connection between the two applications. I appreciate it if any one has input in this regard.
you can and in fact should renew your PR card. These two are completely separate processes and have nothing to do with each other. Your citizenship application is handled by local offices while PR renewal is being handled by another office. I did the same when my citizenship application was still in process, renewed my PR and got it in 60 days.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
echorael said:
2 things
1- There's no such thing as PR renewal.. You're just renewing the card, not your status, which is valid even if the card is expired. So, to be more accurate it's PR-card renewal.
2- Renewing the PR card has nothing to do with the citizenship application whatsoever.

echorael

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Hi ronin21,
Thank you. Did you renewed the PR card recently!! The processing time these days is 172 day!!

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
echorael said:
Hi ronin21,
Thank you. Did you renewed the PR card recently!! The processing time these days is 172 day!!
you need to renew at least 6 months before the expiration of your PR, so hurry up renew it today you have a very limited time. It wont affect your citizenship application

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to be clear, however, there is no requirement that a person renew his/her PR card in order to remain a permanent resident. Your permanent resident status does not expire as long as you meet the residency requirements, and you do not need to have an updated card to apply for (or receive) citizenship. If you plan to travel outside Canada, though (as you said you may), you will need to renew your card.

OTTAWA2013

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
LANDED PR 2009
echorael said:
Hello echorael

The application process to renew a PR Card for Canada requires individuals to file form IMM 5444 and submit the required documents in order to replace the card that has expired or will soon expire. Lost, stolen, destroyed , To have a PR Card renewed, individuals must complete an application and pay the applicable processing fee.
However you DO NOT need the card to remain in Canada or to apply for citizenship !
your status remain the same even if the card is expired
the Only case you'd need a valid PR card is to reenter Canada if you're planing on traveling before you get your citizenship.

best of luck.