+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal under humanitarian and compassionate grounds

robbie_m90

Jan 28, 2015
If I enter Canada(through land border without them starting the revoking process as I have not met the RO) I know that the process of the H&C application can take over a year. Im wondering if during the process if I'm not allowed to leave and enter Canada and have to stay within Canada the whole time until a decision has been made?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If I enter Canada(through land border without them starting the revoking process as I have not met the RO) I know that the process of the H&C application can take over a year. Im wondering if during the process if I'm not allowed to leave and enter Canada and have to stay within Canada the whole time until a decision has been made?
There's nothing forcing you to remain in Canada.

However you should remain in Canada. If you leave Canada, this significantly weakens the H&C argument.

We have also seen several instances on this forum where people have managed to enter Canada, have applied for PR card renewal under H&C, have left Canada, then the PR card has been approved but requires an in-person pick up, then the person has to apply for a PRTD to return, PRTD is refused, person then ends up losing PR status.

Ultimately it depends on how important PR status is to you. If it's important, don't leave.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I know that the process of the H&C application can take over a year.
How do you know this? Because I don't know this, and not aware of such a thing. What H&C application are you referring to? When do you make this application?

More accurate to me would seem to be that entering through the land border _circumvents_ or avoids in most cases the formal H&C determination process (which would usually happen if you applied for a PRTD abroad while out of compliance).

If the point is to circumvent that process, then you should not expect to get any related 'benefits' such as somewhat easier travel. (You can always leave, the issue is whether that puts your PR status at risk upon return)

Or put differently: if you enter via land border _in order to_ avoid H&C determination, you should expect to remain in Canada until in compliance with the residency obligation if you wish to avoid PR risks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How do you know this? Because I don't know this, and not aware of such a thing. What H&C application are you referring to? When do you make this application?

More accurate to me would seem to be that entering through the land border _circumvents_ or avoids in most cases the formal H&C determination process (which would usually happen if you applied for a PRTD abroad while out of compliance).

If the point is to circumvent that process, then you should not expect to get any related 'benefits' such as somewhat easier travel. (You can always leave, the issue is whether that puts your PR status at risk upon return)

Or put differently: if you enter via land border _in order to_ avoid H&C determination, you should expect to remain in Canada until in compliance with the residency obligation if you wish to avoid PR risks.
I think OP is referring to entering Canada through a land border without meeting RO and then applying to renew the PR card immediately under H&C.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think OP is referring to entering Canada through a land border without meeting RO and then applying to renew the PR card immediately under H&C.
Which, I admit, I've never understood the logic of. It seems most/mast majority of the time IRCC will simply sit on it until the applicant gets to the RO compliance, or - more rarely it seems - issue the PR card for local pickup, largely when IRCC was going to approve an H&C PRTD anyway.

But perhaps I've missed something.