+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal requirements when married to Canadian Citizen

msamiullah

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR holder and have been out of country for last 4 years. My husband is a Canadian Citizen. Can I apply for PR renewal without 730 days requirements considering I am married to a Canadian Citizen ? Or do I have to go back to Canada, stay there for 2 years and then apply for renewal ? Please let me know.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR holder and have been out of country for last 4 years. My husband is a Canadian Citizen. Can I apply for PR renewal without 730 days requirements considering I am married to a Canadian Citizen ? Or do I have to go back to Canada, stay there for 2 years and then apply for renewal ? Please let me know.
You would have to be in Canada to apply for a renewed PR card.

Is your husband with you now, or is he in Canada?

Usually a PR that is accompanying their Canadian spouse abroad can include those days towards their R.O. (Residency Obligation), but it may depend on `who followed who'. If you were accompanying/following him, they would count. If he was accompanying/following you, they may or may not count.

Last edited:

sunset66_71

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
ON
App. Filed.......
16-June-2016
Hi All,

Hi,

My case is similar to yours and my timeline was as below:
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on July 26, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 27, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on August 27, 2022.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 25, 2022.
My advise (like I did): go back to Canada for a short visit, prepare required documents (Passports, proof of residency outside Canada, apartment lease, bank joint account, etc...) apply and do not worry about RO they will consider your stay outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen as inside Canada...... Good luck

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi,

My case is similar to yours and my timeline was as below:
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on July 26, 2022.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 27, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on August 27, 2022.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on November 25, 2022.
My advise (like I did): go back to Canada for a short visit, prepare required documents (Passports, proof of residency outside Canada, apartment lease, bank joint account, etc...) apply and do not worry about RO they will consider your stay outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen as inside Canada...... Good luck
How long did you stay in Canada after sending PR renewal application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much time did you have physically within Canada during the 5 year period, or was it all accompanying a Canadian citizen outside of the country?
It is partially dependent on whether this is your first PR card renewal. If you had already established yourself in Canada with your Canadian spouse before moving abroad you don’t have to spend much time in Canada to renew your PR card. You do need to be in Canada to submit your renewal application.