+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Questions and Concerns

Koishii101

Sep 29, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of working on a PR renewal for my minor daughter and myself and I have a couple of questions and am freaking out a bit about the whole thing.

1. What happens if I don't receive our new PR cards before the expiry date? Do we get deported?

2. On the 2 secondary identity documents for myself I'm fine but for my daughter I only have the Record of Landing and her Confirmation of Permanent Residence. The other documents they ask for don't apply to her such as a Driver's license (she's 11) or Valid Photo Identity Card (Quebec doesn't offer these), A University/college Photo Student ID(too young for this), or a Tax Assessment (again too young). What do I provide for them?
I have a local Access Card (Library card with photo) for her, I also have her PR Card but it's still good for now, I also have my Photo Medical card as well as a Non-Photo Medical card for her but it has her name on it. I have her birth certificate and such. They do say if you don't have all of these you can include a Statutory Declaration explaining why you don't have all of these.

3. What is a Statutory Declaration? Do I have to have it signed by a Notary or something?

4. What kind of school records do I provide? Report Cards??

Our PR cards expire in March 2013. I do not want to be deported as I do not want to have to leave my husband and my 4 year old son and start this process all over again. I have also been in Canada since July 2007 and have only left the country for a total of 2 days otherwise I have been here the entire time. Residency requirement I am not concerned with. I have everything for my renewal it's my daughter that I'm freaking out about. How do they expect a minor to have any of those types of documents??

Thanks ahead of time.

Koishii

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody will be deported just because their PR card expires. You can be sure of that. You only need them for travel. If you leave Canada after your PR card expires, you might have problems coming back although even that can be arranged as long as you meet the residency requirements. Don't even worry about it.

As for the ID for a child, don't worry about that either. Send what you have and write a letter explaining what you don't have, for example no drivers license for an 11 yo. because she is too young to drive. Does she have a passport? A passport is also an ID.

A statutory declaration should be notarized.

Report cards should work for school records.

Koishii101

Sep 29, 2012
Leon,

I have her passport it's expired but it's the one she had when she landed with me. That is the first form of Identification they ask for so I have that. I'm just freaking out about the rest of it is all. I suppose since we aren't planning on traveling anytime soon I can just send them our PR cards and use that as her secondary form of identification. I'll get on the phone Monday and see if I can find a Notary to sign my Statutory Declaration explaining why none of the required documents apply to her. You would think they would have something else to use for a minor child.

Should I just use our current PR cards for her secondary and explain everything I have for her to them in the letter? Is there a certain way to write this letter? I used to be a secretary so I can just write a very business like letter explaining everything in detail and have it Notarized.

I just hope that 6 months is enough time to get this done? Should I just forget the PR renewal and just apply for Citizenship for both of us?

Thanks again,

Koishii

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, you can send her PR card or a certified copy if you think you need to travel with her. 6 months should be enough time to get the PR cards. I think the regular processing time is now about 3 but even if it takes longer, that is fine as long as you don't have to travel after they expire.

If you qualify to apply for citizenship, you can do that now too but the processing time for that is fairly long, 21 months to process 80% of the applications. Therefore, if you think you may want to travel or otherwise need a PR card during that time, you should apply to renew them as well.