+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Question Regarding Family

bansalakshit

Oct 15, 2020
Hi Folks,

I have three important questions and would really appreciate any advice from people in a similar situation. To give you a background - I'm traveling in January 2023 for a family wedding. And my PR is expiring in Feb.

1. I have applied for Citizenship and it is currently in process. The only thing pending is the decision. Now based on the current processing times, it makes sense to apply for a Renewal of PR so that I can travel in Jan. Can I apply for a renewal of PR at the same time as the citizen application in process?

2. Seems like the new online PR application is quite buggy. Is it better to apply online or a paper application? If I'm sending a paper application, can I send all the applications in my family in one envelope(Similar to Citizenship) or do I need to send an individual application for each family member?

3. Based on the Citizenship tracker, I should have received the invitation for Oath. However, since 5 months are very less time to apply for a passport and Indian visa & in case i get an invitation for an Oath in the coming months, can I ask to defer it after I come back from India?

Would really appreciate responses as I need to file for PR asap.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As an alternative, if you have US visa, you can return to Canada (using an expired PR card) via a land border by foot or drive.

bansalakshit

Oct 15, 2020
@steaky - Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely consider that as a last option if my renewed PR card does not come. Meanwhile, would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on my questions if you know the answers. Thanks again for an amazing suggestion!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Folks,

I have three important questions and would really appreciate any advice from people in a similar situation. To give you a background - I'm traveling in January 2023 for a family wedding. And my PR is expiring in Feb.
Just to be clear: if you are returning in January and your PR card expires in February, you will not have a problem.

1. I have applied for Citizenship and it is currently in process. The only thing pending is the decision. Now based on the current processing times, it makes sense to apply for a Renewal of PR so that I can travel in Jan. Can I apply for a renewal of PR at the same time as the citizen application in process?
Yes, you can, and while (as above) don't think ti matters for your January trip, I'd still recommend applying for the PR card renewal - just in case you have to travel again. (Or something delays you...)

bansalakshit

Oct 15, 2020
Just to be clear: if you are returning in January and your PR card expires in February, you will not have a problem.

Yes, you can, and while (as above) don't think ti matters for your January trip, I'd still recommend applying for the PR card renewal - just in case you have to travel again. (Or something delays you...)

Sorry - Just to be clear - I'm departing in January but returning in Feb (After my PR card expires)

Do you think it's better to apply online PR or through the paper application?

bansalakshit

Oct 15, 2020
@armoured - Thanks for your suggestions!

I do have one more question - In the paper application - In the From and To Field for work experience. I can fill in the From date (The starting date of my employment) but the in To field - Can I type in Present to indicate that I'm currently working here or do i need to put in the date of the application?

Also - I don't remember the exact dates but I remember the Months/year. Does it need to be an exact date or will an approximation do as we are consenting CRA information to be pulled?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@steaky - Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely consider that as a last option if my renewed PR card does not come. Meanwhile, would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on my questions if you know the answers. Thanks again for an amazing suggestion!
I think you should try to get the visa now (while you are in Canada with a valid PR card) rather than wait until the last minute.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@armoured - Thanks for your suggestions!

I do have one more question - In the paper application - In the From and To Field for work experience. I can fill in the From date (The starting date of my employment) but the in To field - Can I type in Present to indicate that I'm currently working here or do i need to put in the date of the application?

Also - I don't remember the exact dates but I remember the Months/year. Does it need to be an exact date or will an approximation do as we are consenting CRA information to be pulled?

Thanks!
To: the date you signed the application form.

Not CRA, but CBSA.