+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal or Surrender

Sara2003

Mar 23, 2018
Hello
My PR expired in 2015.I am living with my Canadian spouse since 2016.Now we plan to move back to Canada.
My question is :
1) Should I surrender my PR and my spouse can sponsor me .
OR
2) Enter with my spouse stay for 730 days and apply for renewal.
Which will be easier and hassle free

Thanks and appreciate your responses.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello
My PR expired in 2015.I am living with my Canadian spouse since 2016.Now we plan to move back to Canada.
My question is :
1) Should I surrender my PR and my spouse can sponsor me .
OR
2) Enter with my spouse stay for 730 days and apply for renewal.
Which will be easier and hassle free

Thanks and appreciate your responses.
Hi

Neither. Wait until you have at least 730 days living with your Canadian spouse abroad, as those days will count towards the residency obligation. Then apply for a PRTD.

Sara2003

Mar 23, 2018
Thanks!
What documents should I submit..besides showing that we were together.. Has anyone renewed their PR after living with their spouse.

salkab

Apr 9, 2015
Hi

Neither. Wait until you have at least 730 days living with your Canadian spouse abroad, as those days will count towards the residency obligation. Then apply for a PRTD.
This is a new information for me. Was looking for this option since long.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is a new information for me. Was looking for this option since long.
Your Canadian spouse moving abroad to live with you so that you can regain RO compliance is a very different situation and would not qualify. It seems like you were sending money and the proceeds of home sales to Canada starting in 2015 when you got PR so I hope you took my advice and consulted an accountant or CRA about when you became a resident for tax purposes. You would have of course become a resident for tax purposes once your family moved permanently to Canada but could have been much sooner. To remain a non-resident for tax purposes people should not have bank accounts in Canada, credit cards, properties, etc.