+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal or give up

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask the question, but I really need some advice. My parents applied PR many years ago, but I'm the only family member who lived in Canada. Now our PR cards are expiring. I heard something about not losing the PR status even when the renewal conditions are not met, but I'm not sure.

In this case, should they give up the PR status and get a 10-year visa? If they did give up, can I apply for sponsorship for them again? I'm worried that if they give up this time, it may be hard for them to get another PR later.

I have heard that they may be able to renew the PR if they go to a lawyer, but they can only move to Canada when they are retired, which is 7 years later. Is there any other way to help us out there?

Thanks for all of you anyway.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your parents did not live in Canada for 2 years out of the previous 5 years ( five years from landing date ) they don't meet the residency obligation. As they cannot come to Canada for settlement for another 7 years I would suggest they should give up their PR.

They could later apply for Supervisa, which could be more flexible for coming to Canada and going back to home country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They don't automatically lose their PR status but in order to return to Canada once the PR cards expire, they would have to apply for PR travel documents and unless they had H&C reasons for why they couldn't meet the RO, they will not get one. The refusal of the TD will ultimately cause their loss of PR.

After they lose their PR, they can apply for 10 year multiple entry visas. There would be no point in applying for a super visa at this point as a super visa is a visit visa that allows them to stay for up to 2 years at a time instead of 6 months, however, if they are unable to move to Canada at this point because of work etc., there would be no point in applying for a visa that would allow them to stay for 2 years at a time.

You can sponsor them for PR if you meet the income requirements but it doesn't make sense to do that now if they are not ready to move yet because they will just lose it again. You can wait until they are nearing their retirement and getting ready to move. Look at the processing times for parents applications to see how much earlier you should apply.

yuz

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
I have not gotten a chance to come back to this thread because of some travel arrangements.

Thanks Wilson and Thanks Leon. Your replies helped me a lot. I guess I will advise them to wait and apply for a visa then.