+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - Not meeting RO due to family member passed away

MomoQiu

Jun 19, 2021
I am asking this for my parents. They both hold the PR cards now but both need to be renewed by the end of the year.

My mother has been in Canada for less than 730 days in the past 5 years. My grandfather (my mother's dad) had a cancer 4 years ago so my mom went back to China to take care of him. My grandfather passed away last year. My mother was thinking about coming back but the we prefer not to due to the travel restrictions by COVID.

My father went back to China last year before my grandfather passed away. He and my mother are both in China right now. My father meets the RO.

Here are several possible solutions we though of and questions we want to ask:

1. giving my mother and grandfather's situation, is it possible to renew the PR status not satisfying the 730 day requirement?

2. If we add the time of my mother coming to Canada+ the days my father went back to China to stay with her, then her time will excess 730 days. I know the days will be counted if my father is a citizen, but what if he is a PR?

3. what if my mother come to Canada while her PR status is still in place and apply for citizenship?

4. I am in Canada right now. I know I can apply for my father as a representative. If question 1 has a positive answer, can I apply for my mother as well? What are the risks?

5. I have been calling the phone number of the Canada immigration department for the last couple of days but wasn't able to connect to any person. Is there a way I can consult the department and get a definite answer (and leave record)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am asking this for my parents. They both hold the PR cards now but both need to be renewed by the end of the year.

My mother has been in Canada for less than 730 days in the past 5 years. My grandfather (my mother's dad) had a cancer 4 years ago so my mom went back to China to take care of him. My grandfather passed away last year. My mother was thinking about coming back but the we prefer not to due to the travel restrictions by COVID.

My father went back to China last year before my grandfather passed away. He and my mother are both in China right now. My father meets the RO.

1. giving my mother and grandfather's situation, is it possible to renew the PR status not satisfying the 730 day requirement?

2. If we add the time of my mother coming to Canada+ the days my father went back to China to stay with her, then her time will excess 730 days. I know the days will be counted if my father is a citizen, but what if he is a PR?

3. what if my mother come to Canada while her PR status is still in place and apply for citizenship?

4. I am in Canada right now. I know I can apply for my father as a representative. If question 1 has a positive answer, can I apply for my mother as well? What are the risks?

5. I have been calling the phone number of the Canada immigration department for the last couple of days but wasn't able to connect to any person. Is there a way I can consult the department and get a definite answer (and leave record)?

I think your parents should come to Canada while they can. One poster said parents were in covid lockdown in their Chinese hometown and could not travel to Canada to land. Your mom should try to get a PRTD (H & C) to travel with your dad if she can. It's not impossible to travel to Canada right now. I saw MU / CZ flights to and from China. They just need to have a preflight test, 3 nights government approved mandatory hotel quarantine and spend rest of the 11 days quarantine elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw, are their PR card still valid? If so, they should be able to travel to Canada without your mom apply for PR travel document. Once your mom arrive Canada, she should wait until she meet RO before renew her PR card. For citizenship, your mom is not eligible.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

1. You can't actually renew your PR status. You can apply for a travel document based on H&C reasons if you mother no longer has a valid PR card. If she has a valid PR card she could present her H&C arguments if she is reported at the POE for not meeting her RO. If she gets reported and her H&C arguments aren't accepted at the POE she can appeal to try and keep her PR status.

2. ROs are individual

3. Your mother can't arrive in Canada and apply for citizenship until she meets the 3 out of 5 years. When did she get her PR and when does her PR card expire. Would add that your mother has definitely not met the requirement to receive healthcare in Canada and will need to reapply. Your father may need to as well. They are supposed to notify the provincial health system of long absences from Canada.

4. Not sure what you are applying for but if it for a new PR card your father must be in Canada. You can act as his representative but he must still be in Canada

5. Would suggest sending a webform. It may take a few weeks to get a response. You could also pay for a short consultation with an immigration lawyer or consultant

MomoQiu

Jun 19, 2021
I think your parents should come to Canada while they can. One poster said parents were in covid lockdown in their Chinese hometown and could not travel to Canada to land. Your mom should try to get a PRTD (H & C) to travel with your dad if she can. It's not impossible to travel to Canada right now. I saw MU / CZ flights to and from China. They just need to have a preflight test, 3 nights government approved mandatory hotel quarantine and spend rest of the 11 days quarantine elsewhere.
Thank you for your suggestion. My father just got his teeth pulled out so he is a little weak right now. Quarantine or COVID is not good for him, so that is why I am so reluctant. But if they have to come, I guess that is what they will do.

However, for my mother's case, even if she gets here today, she won't meet the RO requirement.

MomoQiu

Jun 19, 2021
Btw, are their PR card still valid? If so, they should be able to travel to Canada without your mom apply for PR travel document. Once your mom arrive Canada, she should wait until she meet RO before renew her PR card. For citizenship, your mom is not eligible.
Yes their PR are still valid.

One more question here: will there be a big difference if my mom come to Canada by herself or come with my dad together?

MomoQiu

Jun 19, 2021
1. You can't actually renew your PR status. You can apply for a travel document based on H&C reasons if you mother no longer has a valid PR card. If she has a valid PR card she could present her H&C arguments if she is reported at the POE for not meeting her RO. If she gets reported and her H&C arguments aren't accepted at the POE she can appeal to try and keep her PR status.

2. ROs are individual

3. Your mother can't arrive in Canada and apply for citizenship until she meets the 3 out of 5 years. When did she get her PR and when does her PR card expire. Would add that your mother has definitely not met the requirement to receive healthcare in Canada and will need to reapply. Your father may need to as well. They are supposed to notify the provincial health system of long absences from Canada.

4. Not sure what you are applying for but if it for a new PR card your father must be in Canada. You can act as his representative but he must still be in Canada

5. Would suggest sending a webform. It may take a few weeks to get a response. You could also pay for a short consultation with an immigration lawyer or consultant
Thank you very much for your reply! Those are very informative and useful.

As for 4, I was trying to renew my father's PR card. What I found from the internet is "Canada does not allow Permanent Residents to renew or replace their permanent resident cards while outside of Canada because the CIC will not mail a PR card to a non-Canadian address. " If that is the only reason, I am in Canada and we have a Canadian address here, so is it possible for me to do the process for him and he does not need to come?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

One more question here: will there be a big difference if my mom come to Canada by herself or come with my dad together?
No, because each individual has to meet their own RO.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your suggestion. My father just got his teeth pulled out so he is a little weak right now. Quarantine or COVID is not good for him, so that is why I am so reluctant. But if they have to come, I guess that is what they will do.

However, for my mother's case, even if she gets here today, she won't meet the RO requirement.
I'm aware that she won't meet the RO even if she gets here now. But at least she can enter and if she is not reported, her days here can be counted towards her residency to renew her PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for your reply! Those are very informative and useful.

As for 4, I was trying to renew my father's PR card. What I found from the internet is "Canada does not allow Permanent Residents to renew or replace their permanent resident cards while outside of Canada because the CIC will not mail a PR card to a non-Canadian address. " If that is the only reason, I am in Canada and we have a Canadian address here, so is it possible for me to do the process for him and he does not need to come?
No your father must be in Canada to apply to renew his PR card

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

If there is a difference it would only be minor, like how the officer takes their seriousness about returning to stay and things like wanting to travel with her husband who just had his teeth pulled, etc. Possibly a positive that travelling with spouse who is compliant.

So all things being equal might be better to return together but again, don't expect it to be decisive.