+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - No Tax Returns

JohnJones

Jul 3, 2012
I need to renew my PR card urgently. I didn't realize it had expired, and need to travel into the US in the next few weeks. My problem. I noticed that I need to submit the application with my tax returns. I don't have any for the past 5 years. Yes, I know I should have, but I'm employed full time and my taxes are paid automatically.
We have been here for 7 years now and have only left canada for maybe 60 days.
What do I submit to show proof of residency?

(Yes I know, I'll submit returns) :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"but I'm employed full time and my taxes are paid automatically"... It doesn't require a tax expert to tell you this makes not sense. Most employees get a portion of their income "withheld" and not "paid automatically". You still have to file tax returns and especially if you owe money to the government.

You may be able to return to Canada from the US with an expired PR card if you enter by land. If you enter by air, then the airline company will need to see a valid PR, unless you hold a passport of a country that is exempted from visa requirements to enter Canada. If you do then show that to the airline company and show your expired PR card when you enter Canada. In any case, entering Canada with an expired card may raise the suspicion of the IO at the port of entry, they sure would like to know if you haven't met you residency obligations, which you said you have.

Also, can I ask why you haven't applied for citizenship since you seem to meet the residency requirements? Or did you assume they also "automatically" give it to you and no need to file?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
It's important to file taxes for those past years and each subsequent year. CRA audits about 25,000 taxpayers every year and if you happen to owe and have not been filing, you risk huge fines and penalties. Also, you may be missing out on tax credits like GST/HST cheques, child benefits, etc.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In some countries you don't actually have to file taxes if you are an employee but in Canada you do. You should therefore file or get a tax consultant to file for you for all the years that you haven't.

As proof of residency, as well as the tax records, you could also get a letter from your employer stating that you worked there full time from date x 'til date y