+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR RENEWAL ISSUE

deepanair44

Jun 9, 2013
I became a PR on 06-June-2008 and received the PR card in June 2008. PR card expires on 25-June 2013.

Initially I stayed for 2 years in Canada with my husband and children ( with a 3 month vacation in this 2 year period). While my husband remained in Canada, I moved to Middle East with children in 2010 due to recession and the possibility of my husband losing his job. I am a doctor and took up a job there and stayed there( Middle East) till April 2013. In the meanwhile I kept on coming to Canada annually ( during school vacation ) to fulfill the residency obligations. My husband remained in Canada during this period ( only 35 days out of Canada from 2008 to 2013).

Now I am back in Canada . Children have met their residency requirements and are currently in Canada and are going to stay here .

I needed 50 days to fulfill PR obligation and I landed on 05-May-2013 and will complete the 50 day period on 23rd June ( PR Card expires on 25-June-2013).

For PR renewal-
1. If date of entry to Canada ( 06-June 2008) is the criterion, my residency obligation will fall short by 18 days.
2. If PR card expiry date ( 25-June-2013) is the criterion, I will complete the mandatory requirement of 730 days.
3. I have to travel back to Middle East to wind up my job and is currently on an extended leave till August 2013.
My queries are-
A.Will there be an issue in renewal of my PR ?
B. If my PR is not renewed, how to travel back to Middle East (I am planning to come back to Canada permanently in mid 2014) .
(My husband is still a PR and will renew his PR along with children).
Please provide with valuable answers,Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deepanair44 said:
For PR renewal-
1. If date of entry to Canada ( 06-June 2008) is the criterion, my residency obligation will fall short by 18 days.
2. If PR card expiry date ( 25-June-2013) is the criterion, I will complete the mandatory requirement of 730 days.
3. I have to travel back to Middle East to wind up my job and is currently on an extended leave till August 2013.
My queries are-
B. If my PR is not renewed, how to travel back to Middle East (I am planning to come back to Canada permanently in mid 2014) .
The date considered is 1. if you apply before or on the date of your 5 year PR anniversary it is counted from your landing date and the criteria is if you already have 730 days in Canada or if you still could have before your 5 year landing anniversary or 2. if you apply after your 5 year PR anniversary, it is the past 5 years counted backwards from your application date. Therefore, if you apply on June 25th, they will count from June 26th 2008 until June 25th 2013. It is better to give it an extra week or two to make sure. Apply with a detailed list of your travels, copies of all the pages of your passport and linking each passport stamp to a trip on your list.

A: The processing time to renew a PR card was 3 months+ last time I heard. even if all goes well. You can ask for expedited processing if you are travelling so if you have bought the tickets, you can try it. However, as you are very close to the 730 days, the odds of getting a delay because they are scrutinizing your case is a bit higher.

B: If you do not have your PR card before you travel, you have a couple of options. 1. maybe your PR card will be mailed to your address in Canada and your husband can have it sent to you where you are. 2. As long as you still meet the residency requirements for the period mid 2009 to mid 2014, you can apply for a PR travel document to return to Canada. They are usually valid for 6 months but can take a couple of months to get so you should apply for it a bit earlier than you want to leave. 3. If you are visa exempt to Canada, you can go to Canada without a travel document, just with your passport or if you can get a US visa, go to the US, rent a car there and enter on the land border. If you do, you should have your landing documents or some other proof that you are a PR.

Worst case, if you lose your PR, your husband can sponsor you again.

Jun 10, 2013
hi. i really need help. my grandfather applied for PR residency on 11july 2008 and stayed in canada for atleast 8months and had to travel back to Africa-Tanzania because of family responsibilities and his brother was very ill. then he never visited to canada for about 4 years now and his PR card is expiring in july2013. please advice what to do. thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samiyahremtulla said:
hi. i really need help. my grandfather applied for PR residency on 11july 2008 and stayed in canada for atleast 8months and had to travel back to Africa-Tanzania because of family responsibilities and his brother was very ill. then he never visited to canada for about 4 years now and his PR card is expiring in july2013. please advice what to do. thank you
Does he want to keep his PR? Is he ready to move to Canada at this point?

He could try applying for a travel document on H&C grounds and see what happens. If immigration agrees that his brother being sick put him in the situation that he had to go back, he may get it. If not, he will lose his PR.

deepanair44

Jun 9, 2013
Thank you Leon.I still have doubts.As my RO wont be fulfilled until June 2014(I had left Canada for 2 months in June 2008),I cannot apply for PR renewal,but my PR card expires on 25/06/2013.I have to travel

to middle east in August 2013 to wind up my job there.My children and husband will continue in Canada.My middle east visa will expire in October 2013.I do not belong to a visa exempt country.In that case

1)Am I allowed to travel without a valid PR?

2)If I apply for renewal now without completing RO,what are the possibilities of renewal?

3)Are there any issues if I apply for PR renewal with a return ticket to Canada ?

4)How can I return to Canada in Mid 2014?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deepanair44 said:
Thank you Leon.I still have doubts.As my RO wont be fulfilled until June 2014(I had left Canada for 2 months in June 2008),I cannot apply for PR renewal,but my PR card expires on 25/06/2013.I have to travel

to middle east in August 2013 to wind up my job there.My children and husband will continue in Canada.My middle east visa will expire in October 2013.I do not belong to a visa exempt country.In that case

2)If I apply for renewal now without completing RO,what are the possibilities of renewal?

3)Are there any issues if I apply for PR renewal with a return ticket to Canada ?

Thanks
If you won't have a valid PR card, I suggest you get a US visa so that you can be picked up by a private car for your return to Canada. You might be reported at the land border or go through secondary interview but at least you can get back to Canada.

However, you can't renew now until you meet the RO.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deepanair44 said:

Thanks
I thought you said you will meet the RO on June 25 2013 and not 2014? If you are one year away from meeting the RO, you will have a problem. You can not apply to renew your PR card now. If you meet the RO on June 25th 2013, you could apply to renew your PR card then with a flight ticket in August and ask for expedited processing. That way, if you are lucky, you might have the PR card before you leave. When you have a valid PR card, especially if it's so new, I don't think you would have a problem entering again in 2014 even if you do not meet the RO any more at that point.

However, if you are unable to renew your PR card before leaving, you may still travel but you may have a problem coming back. An airline will not let you fly without a PR card or a travel document. You will not get a travel document if you don't meet the RO.

You could get a US visa and go to the US and get a rented car to drive back or get your husband to pick you up. You show your landing papers and they will probably give you a hassle but still let you in. They may report you for not meeting the residency requirements and you would have to appeal for your PR. Since a job is not a very good reason not to meet the RO, you may lose your PR and be asked to leave in which case your husband would have to sponsor you for PR again but you may be separated for some months.

Another thing you could do if you can't renew your PR card, as you will be overseas for several months would be to renounce your PR and have your husband start sponsorship for you immediately. That way, you might possibly have your PR visa by the time you want to go back but that depends on your visa office processing time. If you are from certain countries, the processing time can be a couple of years in which case you might have to stay outside for longer than you planned.

deepanair44

Jun 9, 2013
Thank you Leon.I know my case is very much complicated,if I leave immediately within a day or two can I return within 25 th June,ie date of PR card expiry and then continue to stay here for 730 days?I need

atleast one week time to wind up my job in middleast.Getting a US visa cannot be guaranteed.I have a job in Oman,I don't know how long it will take to sponsor my PR from there.

Thanks for your reply

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deepanair44 said:
Thank you Leon.I know my case is very much complicated,if I leave immediately within a day or two can I return within 25 th June,ie date of PR card expiry and then continue to stay here for 730 days?I need

atleast one week time to wind up my job in middleast.Getting a US visa cannot be guaranteed.I have a job in Oman,I don't know how long it will take to sponsor my PR from there.

Thanks for your reply
You can only apply in the UAE if you have a 1 year visa or PR there. If you do not, your application will be processed in your country of citizenship. UAE is not very fast, 20 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

If you leave now and return before your PR card expires, you should be able to get back in. Keep your boarding card from your flight leaving so you can prove when you return that it was only a short trip. Also don't cut it too close. Plan to arrive in Canada no later than the day before your PR card expires because the flight may get delayed or cancelled and then you have a problem.

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
deepanair44 said:
I became a PR on 06-June-2008 and received the PR card in June 2008. PR card expires on 25-June 2013.

Initially I stayed for 2 years in Canada with my husband and children ( with a 3 month vacation in this 2 year period). While my husband remained in Canada, I moved to Middle East with children in 2010 due to recession and the possibility of my husband losing his job. I am a doctor and took up a job there and stayed there( Middle East) till April 2013. In the meanwhile I kept on coming to Canada annually ( during school vacation ) to fulfill the residency obligations. My husband remained in Canada during this period ( only 35 days out of Canada from 2008 to 2013).

Now I am back in Canada . Children have met their residency requirements and are currently in Canada and are going to stay here .

I needed 50 days to fulfill PR obligation and I landed on 05-May-2013 and will complete the 50 day period on 23rd June ( PR Card expires on 25-June-2013).

For PR renewal-
My queries are-
Do you have property at Canada?
if Yes you have chance

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
Vats said:
Do you have property at Canada?
if Yes you have chance
One more thing. . . .
why to hurry your husband is PR there you can easily get PR again
there is no harm.