+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal Interview

mometto

Sep 1, 2012
Dear All
I want to clarify my case for you, the main purpose to apply for PR card renewal was to move easily and travel outside Canada and coming back for business and family issues. That’s way I submitted to renew the PR on July 2012 which is more than 7 months earlier than the PR expiry date which is on Feb 2013.I was thinking it will take couple of months to get it by mail ( as what I have been told about the new process to send the renewed PR card by mail).On Nov 2012, I received a PR questionnaire and I replied to it on Dec 2012.
However, there was no reply to me although I was following my case with CIC for many times and the replay was that the local office will contact me soon, which was not happened unfortunately.
After that ,I was forced to travel to visit my parents urgently . I left Canada on Aug 2013 and since that date I am outside Canada.
I was sent a letter on Jan 2014 by the immigration officer asking me to show up for PR renewal. However, I called the officer telling that I am outside Canada, that's way he gave me 180 days to show up. Otherwise, my PR application will be deemed abandoned and I will not be issued PR card, I will need to submit a new application and fee to receive a new PR card in the future.
In addition, I applied for Citizenship on May 2011 and I received a questionnaire on April 2013 and I replied to it.
The point is I don't want to show up in the PR interview because I am outside anyway and it's very difficult for the time being to go back for the PR only. My concern is to return back for writing the citizenship test.
My questions are as follows:
1) Does my PR status affect my citizenship status?
2) Is there a way to withdraw the PR renewal application without getting removal order?
3) Can I ask the officer to send me the PR by mail whether inside Canada or outside instead of a personal interview?
4) I will come thru US instead of applying a travel document, does that affect my case?
5) Why did he ask to interview me in person and what is expected to ask me?
6) What is the result of this interview especially if he is not convinced with my case?

Best Regards,

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
1) Absolutely..
2) Do you meet the residency obligation requirements? If not, you are in trouble and withdrawal will not help.
3) If you have been called for interview, I don't think so. They don't mail outside Canada anyway.
4) I doubt that it will make any difference.
5) Sometimes they require the card to be picked up in person for "quality control", but in your case, who knows.
6) That rather depends on whether you meet the residency obligation requirements.

mometto

Sep 1, 2012
Dear zardoz
Thank you for your replay.

You answered my first question which is Absolutely the PR status will affect my Citizenship status!!! while I received inside the letter exactly as follows:
" If you don't a copy of a PRTD or you don't contact this office before the date mentioned above, your permanent resident card application will be deemed abandoned and you will not be issued a permanent resident card. you will need to submit a new application and fee should you wish to receive a permanent resident card in the future. "
As I understood from the above sentences, I will not lose my Residency obligation if I am not attend the interview.
However, I am afraid to be reported in my file and affect my Citizenship by delaying the written test or stop it !!!
You asked me in your second question, if I meet the residency obligation requirements!!! sure I meet the requirements from my side but it might not be from the immigration officer side!!!
In addition, even if we considered I am not meeting the residency obligation requirements, why I am in trouble and I can’t withdraw the application!!!! While as per the above sentences, he gave me a chance to apply in the future when I want.
He didn’t mention anything related to removal order or losing the residency obligation.

Regards,

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You said "2) Is there a way to withdraw the PR renewal application without getting removal order?" so it was reasonable to think that you might know that you had a residency obligation problem.

If you have no problems with the RO, then you should be able to withdraw and reapply later once you come back.
Why did you add "sure I meet the requirements from my side but it might not be from the immigration officer side!!!" Do you think they might see a problem, and that could be the reason for the interview?

mometto

Sep 1, 2012
Dear zardoz

I am 100 % confidant but from what I heard around me, it seems that some of the immigration officers put difficulties .