+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR renewal - insufficient duration of stay

Yogi2018

Sep 4, 2018
Hi,
I need advise from experts regarding my peculiar situation.
We got PR status in September 2015 with my wife being principal applicant. She and our 2 kids were residing in Canada and they recently got their citizenship.
Since I could not find a suitable job in my field in Canada, I continued to work in the Middle East and visit Canada often.

I am trying to find out how I can renew my PR card in 2020 if I have not fulfilled the residency obligations? Will there be any issues for me at the time of my PR renewal as I have stayed only for a total of 130 days so far.

Please advise:
if buying a property in my name in Canada would help me at the time of my PR renewal?

Is there any advantage for PR renewal when wife and kids are citizens?

Appreciate your time and advise.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Buying a property will not help at all neither will fact your family are citizens you need to spend 730 days in Canada from the date of your initial landing.

Financial reasons or work reasons for not meeting the residency obligation are not considered valid reasons.

Basically assuming Sept 2015 was your landing date you would need to return to Canada within the next 130 days and stay put until Sept 2020 to renew your PR card.

If you apply to renew in 2020 without meeting the RO it is likely the process would be started to revoke your PR status leaving you with option for your spouse to sponsor you from scratch.

It could be debated that if your wife and children being citizens lived with you in the Middle East that maybe you could get by with the accompanying a citizen abroad rule. However in reality they would be accompanying you so not sure if that would work or not so others would need comment on that. There are plenty of recent discussions here where this has been debated/ speculated on how IRCC interprets such an arrangement.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpenabill

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Buying a property will not help at all neither will fact your family are citizens you need to spend 730 days in Canada from the date of your initial landing.

Financial reasons or work reasons for not meeting the residency obligation are not considered valid reasons.

Basically assuming Sept 2015 was your landing date you would need to return to Canada within the next 130 days and stay put until Sept 2020 to renew your PR card.

If you apply to renew in 2020 without meeting the RO it is likely the process would be started to revoke your PR status leaving you with option for your spouse to sponsor you from scratch.

It could be debated that if your wife and children being citizens lived with you in the Middle East that maybe you could get by with the accompanying a citizen abroad rule. However in reality they would be accompanying you so not sure if that would work or not so others would need comment on that. There are plenty of recent discussions here where this has been debated/ speculated on how IRCC interprets such an arrangement.
I suspect that the days of relying on that particular exemption, under circumstances such as these, are numbered. I would not recommend this path at this point in time.

Reactions: dpenabill

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Just revoke PR and get TRV instead. It works perfect for your situation. Until you decide to reside in Canada, have your wife sponsor you again.