+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr renewal - humanitarian and compassionate prtd

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Nothing frustrates stupid, arrogant and senseless more than ignoring their ad hominem. As wise men said, "the dogs bark and the caravan keeps going".
Immigrants! Don't listen to dogs. Heed the advise of the wise ones.

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Only stupid can't distinguish sarcastic phrase from literal assertion. Even fourth grader should know that Orwell didn't write "Animal Farm" or "1984" as a literal representation of existing in first half of XX century states , nor any one with half wits goes to discredit him on the account of "having invented Ministry of Truth" and such things. Everyone understands what those literary improvisations allude to, except stupid. Immigrants, don't heed advise of stupid.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Ohhh, what about the "ignoramus, pithecanthropoid, and provocateur" (you know the one) who trolls, spewing sarcastic sludge, disrupting efforts to offer genuine responses and engage in sincere discussions about an OP's legitimate inquiries and problems? And reeking in inane irrelevant redundancy.

@Harikrishna3 -- as @armoured has noted, apart from your efforts to obtain a PR card, the SIN issue is really with Service Canada (or CRA); you may find help from an accountant (that would be my first source to probe) or perhaps you could get help from a lawyer. Please let the forum know if you find out if there is a way to compel the issuance of a SIN in situations similar to yours.

While your situation is a little different, of late there has been something of an increase in reports of somewhat similar SIN related problems. So, if you go to an accountant or lawyer, please share what you can of what you learn.

Reactions: armoured

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
does a SIN in Ontaio get de-activated? if yes, why and who does it (CRA?) . and does it need a valid PRC to activiate it again?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
does a SIN in Ontaio get de-activated? if yes, why and who does it (CRA?) . and does it need a valid PRC to activiate it again?
It has nothing to do with Ontario, it's a federal thing (either CRA or employment ministry). SINs can be put into 'dormant' status, which seems to mean that access is limited and (the critical part) no transactions that benefit from the SIN (unemployment, pension) can be carried out - that's to protect against fraud. It does NOT seem to formally mean that it cannot be used to work (by the SIN holder, of course), but CRA may contact the employer (although not clear how often this has actually happened or what the contact consists of).

Yes, the dormant status flag can be removed by means of showing a PRC.

Again, the 'collision' is that it remains unclear whether this would stop one from working (it's a distinct issue from that for those who never had a SIN). My view is - legally it cannot. But employers don't like getting contacted by the agencies responsible for SIN.

Note, there IS a logic for CRA/employment ministry to check with employers about dormant SINs being used - the potential for fraud by employers by using SINs of people who have left Canada forever, a sort of 'dead souls' scheme, to reduce their taxes. This kind of stuff would be outright fraud, and is a plausible reason for CRA/Employment to have and use a dormant SIN approach. But in theory that could be resolved with CRA by simply showing identification - this person is actually working etc. We just don't have concrete info here.

What we have, mostly, is people with potential or real dormant status who can't get it removed (albeit somewhat uncertain consequences), as well as occasional cases of someone who can't get a SIN and never had one, and in both cases Service Canada requires PRC to fix it.

Reactions: asaeed100

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If a SIN hasn’t been used for a period of years , it’ll go into a dormant state . This is to prevent identity theft , and or access to benefits one may not be entitled too . If a SIN hasn’t been used and all of the sudden it pops up on the radar as being used, there is a department at the CRA that can send a letter to the employer requesting information on the employee . I believe from when I worked in a department it’s the SIN matching department.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
there is a department at the CRA that can send a letter to the employer requesting information on the employee . I believe from when I worked in a department it’s the SIN matching department.
Thank you for this - do you know any more about the content of the letter? Does it say or imply in any meaningful way that there is some problem, or just ask information about the employee? Does it require any specific information about the employee? most importantly PR card, because that is something the employee may not be able to provide (whereas if like many things it says 'one of the below' or something easy to provide like photo ID eg passport, then in theory no problem).

Reactions: asaeed100

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you for this - do you know any more about the content of the letter? Does it say or imply in any meaningful way that there is some problem, or just ask information about the employee? Does it require any specific information about the employee? most importantly PR card, because that is something the employee may not be able to provide (whereas if like many things it says 'one of the below' or something easy to provide like photo ID eg passport, then in theory no problem).
I only encountered a few of those letters in my time there . Nothing was ever mentioned about someone’s PR card . It would ask clarification regarding someone’s address , or if there was a name mismatch . Name mismatch could mean someone was using someone else’s SIN for work purposes, or it could simply be the name was misspelt and it got pulled for someone to look at . If multiple T4s were issued against one SIN, and names didn’t match . It would flag of course .

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I only encountered a few of those letters in my time there . Nothing was ever mentioned about someone’s PR card . It would ask clarification regarding someone’s address , or if there was a name mismatch . Name mismatch could mean someone was using someone else’s SIN for work purposes, or it could simply be the name was misspelt and it got pulled for someone to look at . If multiple T4s were issued against one SIN, and names didn’t match . It would flag of course .
Thank you, most helpful.

Without attempting to lead a question here, would it be fair to say that this is reasonably common for employers' HR departments? Not in and of itself a 'threatening' thing for an employer to get?

(Just your POV - I'm sure there could be a million caveats depending on circumstances.)

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Hi all, has anyone here applied for pr renewal with H & C and got her pr card?
I applied on May and my status is still in process. They told me that they have sent my application to local office of the city I’m residing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, has anyone here applied for pr renewal with H & C and got her pr card?
I applied on May and my status is still in process. They told me that they have sent my application to local office of the city I’m residing.
Of you get PRTD based on H&C and you have the code RC1 on your PRTD then you can apply for a PR are when you return to Canada otherwise you-shouldn’t and should wait 2 years before applying for a new PR card.

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Of you get PRTD based on H&C and you have the code RC1 on your PRTD then you can apply for a PR are when you return to Canada otherwise you-shouldn’t and should wait 2 years before applying for a new PR card.
I did not come with PRTD, I came with my pr card which was valid for 2-3 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did not come with PRTD, I came with my pr card which was valid for 2-3 months.
Have you met your RO? Applying for PR card renewal without meeting RO is extremely rare unless you have a PRTD with RC1. How long had you been in Canada in the 5 years since you applied for PR card renewal and have you stayed in Canada since? What were your grounds for H&C? Why did you apply instead of waiting 2 years to become compliant with RO which is what most do? There is no timeframe for processing PR card renewal based on H&C. They aren’t applied for often and will definitely take longer than normal processing.