+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pr renewal - humanitarian and compassionate prtd

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
No I did not meet RO. I was in canada for about 2 months and it has been 6 months that it is still in process. The grounds were death of 2 grandparents which I was living with and my mom’s cancer and the fact of me being only child taking care of her. All of the documents are sent to them

I applied because I may need to travel outside of canada

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
If it would be better to apply with PRTD, was that better to wait so my card gets expired and then I would come with PRTD and get it renewed?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I did not meet RO. I was in canada for about 2 months and it has been 6 months that it is still in process. The grounds were death of 2 grandparents which I was living with and my mom’s cancer and the fact of me being only child taking care of her. All of the documents are sent to them

I applied because I may need to travel outside of canada
Needing to travel outside Canada is not a good reason to get PR card renewal based on H&C because you would not meet your RO as soon as you left Canada again. You will need to meet the 730 days in the past 5 years on any day.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If it would be better to apply with PRTD, was that better to wait so my card gets expired and then I would come with PRTD and get it renewed?
If you need to leave Canada and can’t waitu til you get the results of your PR card renewal based on H&C you can leave Canada and apply for a PRTD based on H&C to return. Thos plan comes with the risk that you may lose your PR status. As long as you are aware of the risk PRTD based on H&C os an option.

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Thanks for the advise. Do you have any estimate of how long does usually humanitarian pr renewal take? I recieved an email regarding that my application has sent to local office for counting the residency dates, and it has been 1.5 months since the email. But no more updates.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the advise. Do you have any estimate of how long does usually humanitarian pr renewal take? I recieved an email regarding that my application has sent to local office for counting the residency dates, and it has been 1.5 months since the email. But no more updates.
Not many people apply for PR card renewal based on H&C without having already been approved for PRTD based on H&C so there’s no set amount of time. Tough to say how long it may take because there aren’t that many applications.

RtreePam

Oct 5, 2021
I have a question, if a person met the 730 days in canada but applied for pr renewal without meeting the RO on that time. Now this person wants to travel can he travel and apply for a prtd while waiting for a pickup appointment?? Or that will negatively affect the pickup of the pr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question, if a person met the 730 days in canada but applied for pr renewal without meeting the RO on that time. Now this person wants to travel can he travel and apply for a prtd while waiting for a pickup appointment?? Or that will negatively affect the pickup of the pr
There is always a risk without knowing whether there is an issue with your PR card renewal. Hard for me to comment without knowing what the details of your application were. If this was your first PR card when did you land? When did you apply for PR card renewal and how many days had you been in Canada when you applied? Was there a reason you applied early and was this an H&C application?