+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal Help Needed

usman.afdal

Dec 6, 2018
Hi,
I got my PR 4 years bach and will be expiring after 10 months. I was not able to live inside canada but my canadian citizen spouse lived with me all the time in four years. We only visited canada once for two months.
My question is will i be able to renew my PR card?
Will this periods spent with spouse outside canada will count towards residency requirement towards maintaining PR status?
She is running business and not employed full time by any canadian organization outside canada.
I was looking at some website and they said the period is only considered if spouse is employed by canadian business outside canada or service canada.
A bit worried now because i always thought that , that period will be count towards residency requirement.

Thanks in advance for helping out.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
First you cannot apply for a new PR card outside of Canada so if you ever wanted to fly back after your card has expired you would need to apply for a PRTD

Given your spouse is a Canadian citizen read Appendix A / situation 1 in this link below to meet the requirements for accompanying a citizen proof of which you will need to apply for a PRTD or if back in Canada to renew pR card. Note time outside Canada does not count towards citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

The employed by Canadian business requirement is applicable to PRs , but not when accompanying a citizen spouse as explained in above link.

Last edited:

usman.afdal

Dec 6, 2018
First you cannot apply for a new PR card outside of Canada so if you ever wanted to fly back after your card has expired you would need to apply for a PRTD

Given your spouse is a Canadian citizen read Appendix A / situation 1 in this link below to meet the requirements for accompanying a citizen proof of which you will need to apply for a PRTD or if back in Canada to renew pR card. Note time outside Canada does not count towards citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

The employed by Canadian business requirement is applicable to PRs , but not when accompanying a citizen spouse as explained in above link.
My PR has not yet expired 10 months left in expiry.
My spouse and child is canadian citizen and they stayed with me all the time outside canada.
It means condition and rules in given link do apply and i can apply for PR renewal after my return to canada...