+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal H&C Grounds - 730 days not completed - Paper Application Decision Made Status

arkhann123

Oct 2, 2017
Hi,
I applied for my PR card renewal in end Jul 2023 via Paper Application under H&C as number of Residency Obligations number of days were not completed.
Now when i check the status of my application is shows 'Decision Made'.

My question is if my application is approved will I get my PR in mail or I will have to collect it via IRCC office.? My mother is unwell and i need to travel urgently in 10 days outside Canada.
If anyone has recent experience of renewal in H&C situation, please guide me.

Secondly, in case it is to be picked from IRCC office, what is the procedure for appointment and how many days i can collect the PR? I am based in Mississauga

The Application status guidelines on the portal shows as below:
If your application is approved, you will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the IRCC office closest to you.

Regards
AK

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I applied for my PR card renewal in end Jul 2023 via Paper Application under H&C as number of Residency Obligations number of days were not completed.
Now when i check the status of my application is shows 'Decision Made'.

My question is if my application is approved will I get my PR in mail or I will have to collect it via IRCC office.? My mother is unwell and i need to travel urgently in 10 days outside Canada.
If anyone has recent experience of renewal in H&C situation, please guide me.

Secondly, in case it is to be picked from IRCC office, what is the procedure for appointment and how many days i can collect the PR? I am based in Mississauga

The Application status guidelines on the portal shows as below:
If your application is approved, you will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the IRCC office closest to you.

Regards
AK
You don’t need your PR card to leave Canada so not sure if you will be able to get your card that quickly. Decision made tends to be posted up to a few months before getting notified. Just get a PRTD to travel back to Canada if you need to travel urgently. How many days had you spent in Canada in the 5 years since July 2023? That is very fast processing for an H&C case. Is your family working and living in Canada. It looks like you applied for citizenship. Did you leave afterwards?

sara23@

Dec 2, 2023
Hi i am in the same boat my mother is bed ridden and I need to leave to accompany her for a longer time I have all the documents to prove my case as h and c category. Can you tell me what all docs you attached to your renewal application I have completed around 615 days of 730 had I continue staying I could have completed in 5 years but now my mother is bed ridden I can't anticipate the number of months I will be gone any help would be welcome

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi i am in the same boat my mother is bed ridden and I need to leave to accompany her for a longer time I have all the documents to prove my case as h and c category. Can you tell me what all docs you attached to your renewal application I have completed around 615 days of 730 had I continue staying I could have completed in 5 years but now my mother is bed ridden I can't anticipate the number of months I will be gone any help would be welcome
You can't get approval in advance, only submit your H&C reasons when you return.

sara23@

Dec 2, 2023
But thats what my concern is what if it will not be approved later and i can lose my residency so i wanted to see how I can seek prior permission renew my pr card and then go because my mothers illness will take 18 months for recovery and until now we have only passed 9 months
You can't get approval in advance, only submit your H&C reasons when you return.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But thats what my concern is what if it will not be approved later and i can lose my residency so i wanted to see how I can seek prior permission renew my pr card and then go because my mothers illness will take 18 months for recovery and until now we have only passed 9 months
I understand. I don't have a solution though.

When did you become a PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no way to seek prior permission. This unfortunately impossible. .

The only option available is to seek H&C considerations later.

sara23@

Dec 2, 2023
There is no way to seek prior permission. This unfortunately impossible. .

The only option available is to seek H&C considerations later.
What could be another way to renew as the rules say can apply 9 months before my pr card expires in aug 24 and i still need to do 165 days and whn i fill on my profile it says not been outside canada for 1095 or more days . Do you think there is any way i can expedite renew my card and then be with my mother during her illness

sara23@

Dec 2, 2023
I became in August 2 2019
I will be outside of Canada 997 days until December 15 2023

I have accumulated 598 days inside Canada until now

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What could be another way to renew as the rules say can apply 9 months before my pr card expires in aug 24 and i still need to do 165 days and whn i fill on my profile it says not been outside canada for 1095 or more days . Do you think there is any way i can expedite renew my card and then be with my mother during her illness
You need to complete your Residency Obligation of 730 days before you can even apply for the renewal. If your PR card is expired and you want to return to Canada, you can try apply PRTD and try to seek H&C consideration.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I became in August 2 2019
I will be outside of Canada 997 days until December 15 2023

I have accumulated 598 days inside Canada until now
You CAN apply nine months before it expires, which should mean you can apply as of December 24, and as of today, you are still in compliance (because you have not yet been outside Canada more than 1095 days).

1095 days is the question they ask on the PR card renewal form, and the reason why is that it's equal to five years minus the 730 days you need to be in Canada. The primary difference is that during your first five years (Aug 2 2019 to Aug 2 2024), you are 'given credit' for days remaining in that period - as long as you are in Canada.

So no, it's not correct that you 'must' complete your 730 days before you apply. If you remain in Canada until December 24, you can apply while still in compliance. If you apply before that, it will just get sent back.

So the real question is (IMO) - what happens if you (i) leave Canada shortly after applying, or (ii) try to remain until you get your card?

For (ii) - well, no-one can tell when you will get your card. It might come early, or it might get held until you've reached the 730 days, or they might hold it for pickup in office (possibly well in the future). So if you apply in order to get your card to leave, it may or may not work in the timeframes you'd like. (They seem to take longer to renew cards for those close to or under the compliance minimum - because, of course, those people already clearly spent a lot of time outside Canada or they would already be in compliance.)

For (i) - they might send the card by post to your address (and someone could send it to you), or they might hold it for pick-up at an IRCC office and you'd have to return to do so. If your card was expired then, you'd have to apply for a PRTD to be able to do so (or return through USA). And of course - quite likely they would take a long time to process the application anyway.

Far less risky for you - would be to simply make sure you return before your PR card expired. Or again, if you can return through USA - less risky.

Failing that - I don't see harm in applying for the PR card renewal before you depart (as long as after December 24, eg January). But I'm not certain, because applying and leaving might 'flag' them to check you on return, or as someone likely to be non-compliant.

Note though, if you leave Canada and end up being outside Canada more than 1095 days in that first five year period - or ANY five year period (it's a rolling compliance obligation) when you present at a border or apply for something - you still have risk. Less risky if travelling with a valid card, and effectively zero risk if you are in and remain in Canada and don't apply for anything until in compliance.

If your 'non-compliance' is relatively small and you have good, documented reasons to be considered for H&C lenience, the risk might be acceptable to you - but not zero.

There is no 'zero-risk' alternative that involves you being outside Canada more than 1095 days in any five year period. Staying in Canada is the zero-risk alternative. The buffer you had to spend more time outside was (apparently) used by you already - the ~1000 days, just shy of three years, that you spent outside Canada between August 2019 and now.