+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal for those who are Permanent Resident since less than 5 years

bealegend

Sep 1, 2011
Hi Everyone

I have the below mentioned situation. Could anyone please advise what to do?

I am a Permanent Resident since Feb 2013( although I received the PR card on April 2013). The PR Card is due to expire on April 2018(having completed 5 years).

After receiving Permanent Residency in Feb 2013, I stayed in Canada for around 1 year and 2 months and then left for home country due to some personal reasons. I stayed there for around 2 years and 11.5 months and returned back this year in the month of march(i.e March 2017)

I would like to apply for the PR renewal asap in advance to avoid the last moment rush. I read through almost everything mentioned on the CIC website about the PR Renewal and although I haven't completed 2 years of physical presence in Canada yet, apparently, I could be an eligible candidate for the PR Renewal , because I will meet the residency obligations in Feb 2018. I have a couple of questions around this:

1) Did anyone of you have the same situation like me and have the successful hassle free PR Renewal?

2) In the Address History and the Work History details, for the latest information, It has to be a definitive date( Eg: yyyy/mm/dd) OR I could mention "Till Date/Present"? I will continue to work for the same organization and continue to live in the same address, so putting a definitive date could confuse the visa office and he may think, that it was something in the past

3) I was self Incorporated in 2013(in my first visit to Canada). When I went to my home country in March 2014, I worked remotely for some months from there and during this time, I continued to receive the paycheck in Canada. So, two questions related to this -

3. a) Could individual corporation be considered as the "Canada business" in regards to claiming the residency days of those few months (when I was working remotely) for the PR Renewal process?

3. b) Which documents do I need to submit to prove my remote work/Canada Income? I know the bank statements will be required which is NOT a problem. But will the corporation documents be also required? If yes, which all documents should be submitted?

Any answer/reply would be appreciated!

Many Thanks!

bealegend

Sep 1, 2011
Also, please refer to this document:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

Page 12 of this document states the following --> What I perceived from these lines that CIC does consider applications in advance and you could get the PR renewed if you meet the residency obligations in future. However, how they are going to track it is NOT mentioned. Will the future days(from the point of receipt of the application) automatically be counted in the calculation of residency obligation days? OR are they going to put the application on HOLD until the applicant gets back to them (in a future date) again after he meets the residency obligation requirements in real?

"Persons who became permanent residents of Canada less than five years prior to the date of receipt of the application are governed by A28(2)(b)(i). This subsection of the Act allows new permanent residents to qualify under the residency obligation provided that they can potentially meet the 730-day criteria during the first five-year period immediately after their arrival in Canada. Even if a person resides away from Canada for up to three years following the date of first arrival in Canada, that person will retain permanent resident status as long as they still have the possibility of complying with the 730-days-in-Canada rule."