+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Fast track process

Apr 12, 2011
Hi,

My question pertains to renewing PR cards. In early 2011 my PR card expired, however I had not sent it for renewal due to my inability to prove that I had been in Canada for 2 out of 5 years. Now, in April 2012, I have calculated that I am over the threshold of 730 days inside/below 1095 outside Canada. My current number stands at 1080 outside.

What I want to know is: (1) if I urgently need to travel, but want to ensure that my PR status is not in jeopardy, should I apply for the expedited renewal process (of 2-3 weeks)? Will the relatively high number of days outside Canada negatively affect my renewal application?

I had seen a consultant about the questions above and was advised to renew my card only when the number of days outside is at or below 800 days outside the country (1000+ inside). I was told that since I am of east Indian origin, if I have a high number of days outside the country, even of it is below 1095, that my application could go into 'review' which could stretch out the renewal for over a year.

2. Additionally, if a family member of mine (father) decides to surrender his PR card, will it affect my renewal application if I had originally acquired my card under his name?

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
I was in a similar situation as yours and contacting consultants wont help because they will help you in problems not from problems. So to answer your questions....

1- Will the relatively high number of days outside Canada negatively affect my renewal application?

As long as you are within 1095 days it should be OK. I do not think they will mind.

2- Once you are a PR you are liable for meeting your own residency requirements.

So, go ahead and apply for an urgent process if you are in a desperate need to travel. But give yourself atleast 4 weeks. You will need to provide paid tickets, proof of payments, etc...read up the guide and it is very clear. Things should move on fast. But remember , PR card will not be mailed,but picked up at a local CIC office. So, if you are out of the country with an expired PR card, you will need a REturning Resident permit to enter the country. Later you can pick up the card. But why bother ? If your travel need is genuine then book your tickets and attach them with your application...

BTW i have my PR card approved.