+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal during COVID19

echao

Mar 6, 2013
Hey there,

My wife's PR card expires in October this year. We are all in Canada and she has stayed pretty much all her time in Canada the past 4.5 years. We had traveled maybe a total of 50 days outside of the country.

I am going to renew her PR card soon and just wondering how everyone's experience has been so far with renewals during COVID19. All biometrics offices are closed, what can we do?
Since this is my first time renewing the card for her, what do we do with regards to the photocopies of her passport and PR card? Do they have to be notarized or is that only if the documentation has no English on it? She is from Japan so all documentation (passport and Canadian PR card) so there's English on the papers.

The government website is so confusing when it comes to the instruction manual so any advice would be welcome.

Thank you everyone and stay safe!

Last edited:

echao

Mar 6, 2013
Hello everyone,

Thanks for responding.

I'm looking at the following page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Under the biometrics section, its has this blurb:

Most PR card applicants do not need to give biometrics.

However, you’ll need to give your biometrics and pay the biometrics fee if
  • you were less than 14 years old when we received your application for permanent residence and you applied for permanent residence on or after July 31, 2018, AND
  • you’re now older than 14 years old and are applying for a new permanent resident card, a replacement or a renewal
I'm confused now as its a renewal so wouldn't that mean i would need to get her biometrics? Or am i looking at the wrong page? :(

From what I gather, this is what I need (assuming biometrics are needed):
The application form
Biometrics
Copies of passport (do we need it notarized?)
Copies of PR card (do we need it notarized?)
Photos

This is a bit overwhelming for us since it's our first time doing the renewal.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Thanks for responding.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

I'm confused now as its a renewal so wouldn't that mean i would need to get her biometrics? Or am i looking at the wrong page? :(

The application form
Biometrics
Photos

How old is your wife? She wouldn't be less than 14 years old when she appliedher application for permanent residence in 2018.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Thanks for responding.

The application form
Biometrics
Photos

Nothing needs to be notarized. If you have given biometrics when applying for PR you don’t need to do it again.

echao

Mar 6, 2013
Nothing needs to be notarized. If you have given biometrics when applying for PR you don’t need to do it again.
Hi Canuck78,

Thanks for replying. So would that mean we just need the following:

Copy of passport
Copy of current PR card
Completed application form
New photos

and thats it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78,

Thanks for replying. So would that mean we just need the following:

Copy of passport
Copy of current PR card
Completed application form
New photos

and thats it?
Follow the instructions. Don’t have them in front of me.